"Silent" Generators?

Apr 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

I am looking to buy a new "silent" generator for my caravan and am wondering what people use?

I want something with a bit of beef as I want to also use it in my workshop running power drills etc.

Any advice/info much appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a Honda EU2.0i (2KW)which I think is brilliant.

I have also wired a transfer switch in the house so that I can switch between mains power and generator in times of power outage.

The Honda will power the entire house apart from the full size electric oven

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Nigel,

There are occasions when only a generator will do, but for most caravanners they are not necessary, and can be a real nuisance to others.

On top of that, they are usually a very wasteful way of using fuel to do a particular job. The best portable generators will only turn about 6 to 7% of the petrol into usable power, the rest is wasted as heat and noise.

By comparison, most caravans are fitted with multiple fuel devices, such as the fridge, water heater and space heater to name three. These are far more efficient converting at least 70% of the fuel into useful output.

If a mains supply is absolutely necessary then most sites now offer a mains hook up.

If no mains hook is available, and it is only for limited power items such as a lap-top, then it is cheaper to use an inverter (converting 12 V dc to 230V ac)from the caravan battery. Used sensibly a 110Ah battery will last best part of a week or more.

For most normal caravaning activities there are reasonable alternatives to using a generator.

I am not anti generators, I use them for some Festival work I do, but equally I am very much aware of the noise even the best 'silent' models produce, it can become quite wearing over protracted periods when you are trying to rest/sleep.

Apr 25, 2007
Visit site
I feel i need to clarify my request.

I need to buy a new petrol generator for DIY and possibly for the caravan for use when it is allowed and appropriate.

In the past I have seen items about supposedly "silent" generators (not possible I know) and have seen other caravaners using them so thought I would see what other people use.

I am just looking for some feedback on what other people use before I spend my hard earned cash! :)

And no this is NOT a windup! :p

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel

I understood what you meant!! I have a Kipor 2000i. It is the yellow one with the pure sine wave digital inverter technology. I looked for a while and got an excellent deal from Peak Generators. [www.peakgenerators.co.uk] I have since discovered that Kipor "stole" the technology from Honda but have since come to an agreement with them. As the Honda 2Kw one is 1000 quid I have effectively got the same thing for a third of the price! I have no doubt that the Honda one is the market leader but I simply do not use it enough to justify the cost. I use it on rallies and a little other general use. The rallies is mainly for the good ladies hair drier and keeping the battery up during the day for a bit of tv in the evening. The Hair drier bit is what sanctioned the expenditure for her! When i was looking Sealey also did a good one and a nother website i found useful was www.justgenerators.co.uk.

Finally if i were you i would go for the inverter technology as some of the equipment on the caravan can be susceptible to spikes so I think it is more prudent. It probably won't matter with your diy!

I hear[!] what you say regarding the silent and it is as quiet as it is probably possible to be and the noise is not intrusive. Also most rallies and clubs stipulate that you can only use them between 1000 hrs and 1800 hrs when generally the other noises of traffic playing children and general life are just as loud!

One of the other lads in our club has a Yamaha which is quiet but I think that was over 600 and is only 1KW.

Hope this is of help

DavidC

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi DavidC,

"Quote: Kipor "stole" the technology from Honda but have since come to an agreement with them"

Yes they did, but not as you imagine. Honda (UK) has seized and disposed (crushed) a UK company's entire stock of Kipor generators in accordance with the terms of a UK Court Order.

In September 2006, Honda announced it had obtained an Order from the High Court of Justice restraining Procurement UK Limited from importing and selling certain Wuxi Kipor Power Co. Ltd (Kipor) generators in the United Kingdom.

Despite the Court Order, stock of the infringing Kipor models has continued to enter the UK. Expect more crushings...

Robert

Jun 12, 2006
Visit site
Nigel,

I think you'd be better with a diesel genny, we use them on the railways, quiet and still have plenty of power in them. I'll have a word with the wife when she comes home and find out which is best for you, or phone hss hire shops and ask them.

Give me a couple of hours matey.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I use a Honda EU2.0i (2KW)which I think is brilliant.

I have also wired a transfer switch in the house so that I can switch between mains power and generator in times of power outage.

The Honda will power the entire house apart from the full size electric oven
Hi Rod

You wouldnt be able to run much in the house with 2kw thats only just over 8 amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts