single axle versus twin axle

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I've got an 1800kg single axle that is bigger than a lot of twins and certainly can't complain about its stability. For me it's a non-issue. I'd only select a twin if there is a there is no alternative. Why pay for a second axle or sacrifice payload due to the weight of a second axle when one will do the job?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A lot of posters are commenting on the difficulty of manouvering a TA by hand. Our last SA was as heavy as the TA and it was a struggle to move by hand. The TA is impossible to move with just the two of us but the SA was not a lot better. Unless your middle name is Garth.

Further to my previous post about tyre pressures, the manufacturers recommended tyre pressure was 65psi, the max pressure marked on the tyre was 65psi. This means you are running on the maximum pressure of the tyre.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi "Parky"

Thank you for telling me.

I was never sure if I was doing it right

I thought "REPLY TO TOPIC" was if someone wanted to reply to my original query.

I thought "COMMENTS" was for me to reply to people and thank them.

You say my replies are hidden.

Does that mean nobody can read them except me?

Did nobody get my replies?

Sorry.I'm totally new to this and I feel like an idiot!

Thanks again.

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Advert removed
spamcan.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Having had single and twin axle I would definitely go for a twin as it has more stability on the road and is easier to mannouver onto a pitch than a single axle caravan. We have a single at the moment and I hate reversing it onto a pitch. However determine your best layout before making any sort of decision.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
vanhireguide said:
It seems to be nice post but we talk carp. For junk rental in Timbuktu use our advice as to selecting the best heap for the job with a small range of junk collection points, one of which is serving the Nexus. .At the Junk Hire Guide we search for the best junk rental rates in Timbuktu. that give the worst in terms of value, quality, convenience and service.
Clive Wigan
This is not a forum for advertising so take a long hike off a short plank!

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
i agree with lutz i have a adria 7.98mtr long 1500kg single axle and was a bit nervy abut it on a single but it tows verey well better than the swift i had the delta chasie is realy stabble.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi we had an older single axel that was our starter van, and were looking around for another van.. There are four of us, two adults, and two kids. We went to one of the shows to look at what type of layout was best, and had our teenage daughter trying out the bunkbeds for size etc. I would recomend taking all the family and doing pratical tests. We settled on a double diner type, as our older daughter found some of the bunks difficult to get into, and if we wanted guests we could accomidate them without putting the awning up. We found our perfect van, a Sterling Europa 650, this happned to be a twin axel, and we dont have any problems towing it, I think we have the same tow car as you. I hpoe this helps, Ta Julia

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
We swapped caravans with friends who live in Germany. They found their 8 metre single harder work towing compared their previous UK twin axle. Swapping on a joint trip using ML tugs we also found the single harder work.
My wife was very excited to find our present twin came with a motor mover. We got it home and she had some fun driving the van around the garden and drive. In three season we've used the mover twice on site apart from checking that it works before leaving home. So far it has been about a grands worth of kit that may come in useful some other day
smiley-smile.gif
. I seem to have given up a length of wire tow rope for about 40 kilos or so of bling. Could use the mover more instead of reversing, it just always seems easier to drive the van on to a pitch, one time we could really could of used it last season H In D couldn't find where she'd put the remote
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts