Site Coax Connection.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone have an innovative way to get site connection, without trailing a cable through a window etc? Would prefer no drilling, but wouldn’t rule that out. Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Does anyone have an innovative way to get site connection, without trailing a cable through a window etc? Would prefer no drilling, but wouldn’t rule that out. Thanks.

Any holes for mover cables that haven't been sealed around? Drilling up through the floor shouldn't present problem or in via the front locker. All depends on where the tv is sited. You can buy flat coax cables which aren't much deeper than 2mm and sit on the window seals without damage and allow you to fully close windows.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If your van has an external battery box you can get an F-type 'barrel' which is a socket either side. Drill a 9mm hole in the side panel of the battery box and fit the barrel into it - it is threaded and if you get the right one it comes complete with nut and star washer. Then attach a cable on the inside and run it to you TV location. You can then use the socket in the battery box to connect to the pillar, to an external aerial, or to a satellite receiver - the connection is compatible with all three.
If the battery box and TV are not located such that you can get a cable from one to the other easily then the only other practical option is to have an external connector box fitted - or do it yourself. They are not difficult to fit, require one hole through the side of the van (and two lead holes for the mounting screws) and the back of it has a soft water seal so if it is fitted carefully it will never leak. I had one on our last van and it was great. It has the advantage that it has two spaces for sockets - one for TV and one for satellite - and it comes with two appropriately terminated cables about 3m long.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Fithawk,
You can get a flat ribbon cable for passing over an opening window connecting an external aerial to your TV.There is a coax connection at each end (it's not long -only a few inches)

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Bertieboy

Many thanks for that info, didn’t know they existed. A cheep and useful piece of kit. I’ve ordered. Thanks again.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Hi Bertieboy

Many thanks for that info, didn’t know they existed. A cheep and useful piece of kit. I’ve ordered. Thanks again.

Of course said link cable is terminated in F-type so you will need to make up new connections. You can get a bag of 10 F-type plugs from Screwfix of Toolstation for less than the cost of two in a DIY shed (inc B&Q who own Screwfix!)

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Just resolved the same problem in my van. Until the last service there was a suitable circular hole in the side of the battery box adjacent the mains input socket (where I think a mover isolation switch had previously been fitted). I just fed the end of the cable up and into the TV. However I presume that the box should be airsealed, as when I came to use the site coax hookup earlier in the season I found that the hole had been covered up and silicone sealed. So I bought 2 'Surface mounted coaxial aerial outlets' and with a short length of cable fixed and silicone sealed one rear facing beneath the van, passing the lead up through an existing hole in the floor and fixed the other to the floor of the front bed locker. Now I have accessible sockets inside and out. Of the original 2 (£2.00 B&Q) one was fine but one came unsoldered from the central pin during fitting. The absolutely identical item in Wilkos was £1.25 but similarly had to be re-soldered - with a coax plug in situ to ensure that the nylon bush did not melt and distort in the process.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts