Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
Copied from Our Website:

Thread Starter: Pam

25 Apr 2006 08:22 PM

When recently staying on a site in Norfolk, we were amazed to see what appeared to be one caravanner laying his waste discharge pipe on the ground to discharge into the nearby gorse bushes behind his caravan. We mentioned this to the site warden who said he had noticed it himself and had spoken to the person to be told that it had 'fallen out.' We noticed that it continued to 'fall out' each evening and morning so mentioned this to the person concerned, only to get the same reply, but he did then put the pipe in his wastemaster. The warden also told us that this was not the first instance of such forgetfulness, he had seen a number of others do the same thing. Can I suggest that this sort of behaviour when practiced by gypsies is deplored by all so why is it considered to be fine on sites that people pay a lot of money to stay on? Whilst wardens are excellent at maintaining the sites they can't see everything that is going on. A firm but friendly reminder from each one of us when we see it happening could well stop this appalling habit, but if not, as decent caravanners should we not have a policy of three strikes and you are out? How do others feel, have you also seen this sort of lazy behaviour which puts in jeopardy your own and others enjoyment of the site or maybe we should all practise this and live in an open sewer!

Wendy Replay to topic

25 Apr 2006 09:29 PM I have seen this practice used a few times, particularly when on CL's where there have been no designated waste water disposal points. Personally, I cannot see any harm in it, afterall it is only grey water and not the contents of somebodys' loo, and we are encouraged by the water authorities to put our washing up water onto the garden during the summer rather than using a hose pipe. If there are any food items, they are generally cleared up by the birds. I can't see any problem.

Comment

Maureen Replay to topic

25 Apr 2006 09:38 PM We have recently been on a site and were asked by the owner to put our waste into the hedges bordering the site.....but it was a farming area and we were surrounded by fields.

Comment

craig Replay to topic

25 Apr 2006 09:47 PM As far as I'm aware this has been common practice on the continent for a while now, and is becoming an accepted method in the UK, although some sites are recommeding the removal of food debris to prevent the attracton of vermin.

Comment

Maureen Replay to topic

25 Apr 2006 09:59 PM We really should be discussing this topic in the General Section.

Comment

mike Replay to topic

25 Apr 2006 10:07 PM Should we first give Pam an oppertunity to explain what is so gastly about the practice. After all, least we judge and all that, but large sections of this world would be greatfull to drink it let alown water tyhe dazies with it. Presumably having a leak behind a hedge on a country walk would be given short shrift.

ttfn

Norfolk Mike

Comment

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's illegal, throughout the UK, to discharge kitchen or bathroom waste water other than to a proper sewer system, cess pit or septic tank.

Food debris is the least harmful part! - at least that will decompose like compost.

The chemicals in washing-up liquids, shampoos, etc need to be treated in a sewage works before they can be released back to streams or ground water.

If the Environmemt Agency finds evidence of caravanners or campers using this practice they can, and will, close sites by revoking their licences.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
So what you are saying is its illegal to allow the above to happen but it's O.K. to pour kitchen or bathroom waste water on our gardens. Hmmmmm I suppose it makes sense in this country of ours lmaaooooo.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
So what you are saying is its illegal to allow the above to happen but it's O.K. to pour kitchen or bathroom waste water on our gardens. Hmmmmm I suppose it makes sense in this country of ours lmaaooooo.
You beat me to that one L.B.

In this country the ' jobsworth brigade' will always have their following.

ttfn

Norfolk Mike.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
As some will know we have a CL in Suffolk. our soil type is sand that in a dry spell soon becomes water defficent, we have planted trees on the boundry of the CL to offer shade , without our visitors using their dirty water around the base of these trees they would not have survied, as it is they have grown well and are much better than others on the farm that have not had that treatment. For those who are put off by this I would refer to lord B's comment.

David from Suffolk

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
My waste water has a home made filter to catch waste food bits and we use an eco friendly liquid and soaps. I have "watered" pitch plants that look in need of water.

But have found squishy areas where some just eject their water behind the van.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I find it amazing that some worry about a trickle of waste water from a Wastemaster when everyday there are thousands of tons of pesticides sprayed or spead onto the fields of this country. There are also thousands of tons of petro-fertilisers spead onto fields which eventually reach the water courses causing plant growth, inhibiting the flow of water in our rivers and streams which cause flooding and de-oxygenation of the water causing untold damage to fish life, freshwater molluscs and water invertebrates. This has a knock on effect to bird life like kingfishers and even mammals like the water vole who would have no water once the flow had been stemmed and invasive species like duckweed had taken over. I totally disagree with tipping the whole contents of the wastemaster into a ditch in one go though. Regarding food particles, they will be collected by insects like ants and fed to their larva, the rest will be broken down in the soil by micro organisms. I personally haven't seen any dead grass etc. from waste water discharged but there is plenty from the misuse of awning groundsheets. ⇦ Gets off soap box :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that in the current climate of 'hosepipe bans' tipping of what is usually just washing up water and/or shower water should be possitively encourated. We all like to camp in beautifully presented areas, and the place would soon look unpleasant without trees/plants to look at. A bit of food in the water hardly poses a health hazard. The CL we stayed at over Easter actively encouraged the use of waste water on the plants and it was truely a beautiful site.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
How people are supposed to understand and do the right thing conscientously I don't know. RogerL quotes from the Environment Agency saying it's illegal (I'm assuming RogerL knows what he's talking about) and the Water Authorities encourage us to pour our waste water on flower beds etc. If that is true of both shouldn't the Environment Agency be taking the Water Companies to court for wrong information? I try to do my best for the environment and to save water and the only thing I refuse to do is to take a bath with Her Ladyship, she insists that I sit at the plug end. I have this fear of the plug coming out and my bum being held firm by the suction. The sight of 4 fireman laughing their head off while trying to free me from my predicament doesn't bear thinking of, let alone not being able to sit down because I was minus some skin. Even taking a shower with Her Ladyship is risky because she's a dab hand with the loofah. Did I ever tell you about the time when Her Ladyship was in a frolicking mood and .... oops the door bell, I'll tell you another time ;O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How people are supposed to understand and do the right thing conscientously I don't know. RogerL quotes from the Environment Agency saying it's illegal (I'm assuming RogerL knows what he's talking about) and the Water Authorities encourage us to pour our waste water on flower beds etc. If that is true of both shouldn't the Environment Agency be taking the Water Companies to court for wrong information? I try to do my best for the environment and to save water and the only thing I refuse to do is to take a bath with Her Ladyship, she insists that I sit at the plug end. I have this fear of the plug coming out and my bum being held firm by the suction. The sight of 4 fireman laughing their head off while trying to free me from my predicament doesn't bear thinking of, let alone not being able to sit down because I was minus some skin. Even taking a shower with Her Ladyship is risky because she's a dab hand with the loofah. Did I ever tell you about the time when Her Ladyship was in a frolicking mood and .... oops the door bell, I'll tell you another time ;O)
You must have answered the door by now Lord B.........

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
C'mon My Lord,

We all know you have staff to answer the door !! Now settle down and tell us a story......or else we shall send The Sun or News of the World to have a word with your staff at the tradesmen's entrance. :eek:) :eek:)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm aware of recommendations to water plants with washing water but it is contrary to water regulations - perhaps the persistent water shortages will eventually cause the regulations to be brought up to date.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Shock horror, I don't actually use a waste water container. We don't have a shower, and never wash up in the caravan. We probably discharge about half a litre a day, and it goes under the van rather than to the side.

Thinking about people who might use more water, as long as the ground can take it and all the big lumps have been removed I don't see it as a problem. Compare it to the copious amounts of male urine that land on the countryside every day ..... (and that's just from me!)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
C'mon My Lord,

We all know you have staff to answer the door !! Now settle down and tell us a story......or else we shall send The Sun or News of the World to have a word with your staff at the tradesmen's entrance. :eek:) :eek:)
hehheh! Maureen, Her Ladyship has threatened me that if I tell she will cut my rations off :O(

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
All,

When we brought our van in Holland it came with a 20 ltr Fiamma style waste container with a small instruction booklet and a small mesh style filter so we could "go Dutch" and filter our grey water and dispose of it at the vans side or do the british thing so far I continue to do the latter but when I look at Holland and the UK I'm not sure were always right.

Monkeys Husband

May 20, 2005
Visit site
I have always used a waste container with a side entry for the waste pipe and unscrewed the cap a couple of turns, it allows the water to trickle out but keeps most of the solids in the container.I can't see what the fuss is about, a lot of sites have livestock on them in the winter and what comes out of the thier rears does not have the enviroment agency closing thier sites.

Roger can you name any sites that have been closed by the EA for allowing waste water to go on the field.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must say that reading the threads about grey water discharge running under and around the 'van......is this always on farm sites?

I would hate to think that I was going onto a pitch that was soggy with dirty waste.

Mostly we use Club sites and I certainly would not expect to see anyone discharging on to the pitch.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Maureen

We have a CL and in dry weather we ask our visitors to empty thier dirty water containers around the trees we have on site, we leave long grass for this purpose some 3to4 feet around the base of these trees. We would not aproove letting dirty water to run over the site for the reasons you have voiced. but this way this water has been used twice. and the trees thrive in dry weather

David from Suffilk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I stayed at a cc cl recently and was told to put my waste water into the bushes behind my van.

Why do a lot a caravanners spend most of thier time looking out thier window watching what other people are doing and then moaning about it. Get a life!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have to agree with Simon! LOL!! Waste water with a bit of soap in! OH MY GOD! - the world will never recover!

On another Topic/thread - we glibly discuss using an exhaust deflector to stop the particulate hydrocarbons (carcinogenic - REALLY nasty compounds) from our diesel towcars from dirtying our caravans.

So presumably it is OK to divert this poisonous cr*p to the countryside and any nearby pedestrians - BUT - for goodness sake do not let a little bit of soapy water soak into the ground!

Me thinks a little perspective is required here!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have to agree with Simon! LOL!! Waste water with a bit of soap in! OH MY GOD! - the world will never recover!

On another Topic/thread - we glibly discuss using an exhaust deflector to stop the particulate hydrocarbons (carcinogenic - REALLY nasty compounds) from our diesel towcars from dirtying our caravans.

So presumably it is OK to divert this poisonous cr*p to the countryside and any nearby pedestrians - BUT - for goodness sake do not let a little bit of soapy water soak into the ground!

Me thinks a little perspective is required here!
See "Diesel Exhaust" on Towing Driving & Safety

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Clive , if there was a way of collecting the exhaust waste in a container to be emptied in a safe manner when it was full I'm sure we would all use it. I've nothing against putting waste water on plants and trees ,in fact it should be encouraged, but there is a difference when it is allowed to drain onto the pitch as overtime they will get soggy and in hot weather begin to smell. ;o)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts