sites and twin axles

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We've had our twin axle caravan for over four years and we've never been refused entry to a site.
If we visit a certified site I always mention that the caravan is a T/A when I phone the site beforehand but this is only in case of awkward turnings into gateways or other access problems.
I've heard of Haven sites charging more for pitches which are big enough to accommodate a T/A but we've never stayed on one of their sites so I can't be certain.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Mill House camping and Caravan site outside Worcester do not accept twin axles. They have a Facebook link instead of a website which I guess says it all!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
So far not had an issue with it, except some pretty tight acess to a CL last August! Some friends did put a sign up at the entrance to a CL once saying no twin axles allowed but they took it down again once we'd arrived!!! haha

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
We have never had issues regarding acceptance of our t/a BUT it is always good practice to enquire about possible problems with narrow lanes and access.It is no fun struggling before the big match of the day The Awning!!! I can recall a few surprised remarks from site owners " that IS a big one!" Mind you we use CL/CS sites as a rule.
Thursdays Child

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Not a twin axle but a SINGLE!!
Rang the site and young girl started to take booking asked me the length of van and when I said 8.0m well 7.9m to be exact she said can you hold, then another voice ( I presume was the owner) asked me again so I told her and she replied thats a twin axle for which I replied no its a single.
Sorry we dont have any pitches availible!!

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Rang the site and young girl started to take booking asked me the length of van and when I said 8.0m well 7.9m to be exact she said can you hold, then another voice ( I presume was the owner) asked me again so I told her and she replied thats a twin axle for which I replied no its a single.

smiley-cool.gif
Sir Gaga
smiley-cool.gif

I think you will find that some sites do not have pitches big enough to take longer vans.
smiley-cry.gif

lots of the older sites were built before such big tourers were so popular and just didnt prepare for the sizes now favoured by lots of us.
Don't suppose it was a CC club site ?
smiley-undecided.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Sproket said:
Gagakev said:

smiley-cool.gif
Sir Gaga
smiley-cool.gif

I think you will find that some sites do not have pitches big enough to take longer vans.
smiley-cry.gif

lots of the older sites were built before such big tourers were so popular and just didnt prepare for the sizes now favoured by lots of us.
Don't suppose it was a CC club site ?
smiley-undecided.gif
No it wasnt a CC or CCC site but it has been in the PCv top 100 guide for quite a few years and indeed did win it one year!!
They do take T/A and they may well have been genuine and not have any pitches at that paticular time but it was the fact they didnt believe you could get such a long S/A. Maybe they thought I was member of the traveller fraternity
smiley-laughing.gif

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Gagakev said:

7.9m single axle? It does sound big for a single axle? What's the model?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
lishka said:
Gagakev said:
Our twin axle is 7.9m so fo that to be on a single axle is very unusual. I think the LOP may have his length incorrect. I wonder what type of caravan it is?
7.9m single axle? It does sound big for a single axle? What's the model?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lishka and Surfer,
Fleetwood Sonata Symphony
Specification States;
Shipping Length 7.89m (ok I was a teeny weeny bit out --sorry)
Width; 2.29m
Think what makes it longer is the extra length drawbar on the front which Fleetwood favoured claiming more stability, so I suppose it can be a bit confusing. Only had it since last march and love it.

MRFLEETY017.jpg

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Shipping length and external length of caravan could be two differnt things. Our twin axle is 7.9m in length but shipping length is over 8m. Maybe you should be quoting the external length instead of shippingh length.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
Shipping length and external length of caravan could be two differnt things. Our twin axle is 7.9m in length but shipping length is over 8m. Maybe you should be quoting the external length instead of shippingh length.

Might be more a case of shipping length and body length difference. I know of one site that stipulates a ban on caravans over a certain length "excluding drawbar".

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Hi Surfer, there is no mention of external length in my paperwork only internal so I have just been out and measured it 6.64. Draw bar 1.25
A few years ago with my previous van I quoted the site the body length and they gave me a pitch that was too short, the draw bar stuck out about a foot so they gave me a couple of bollards!!! It was there last pitch.
So the out come off this is I shall ask the site if they want the measurement with or without the drawbar. Thank you.

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
haven at their kiln park site have effectively banned twin axle and large single axle vans due to their ban on vans over 25 feet in length due to " having to abide by rules and regulations "

TRENDING THREADS