sites directory for sites open January february

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
good day to every one I am trying to arange a winter trip down though France into Spain and Portugal we are fairly new to caravaning but feel sure this sort of trip that is taken on by many people .I seem to spend hours on our computer ( i am not good with these machines and we only have dail up so its very slow) and then finding sites only to find them closed in the winter months there must I think be a directory or book that some one could recomend..I have maped out a route that I think it should take us though some intresting places ,and hopfully complete in the five or six weeks, returning back to our home thats out in the sticks between ,La Rochelle and Niort .we are hoping that on are return the beginning of spring will be on the wind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Caravan Club European Guides Vols 1&2 note sites that are open all year or have extended seasons, although its always best to check with the sites concerned to conform they will still be open as sometimes the information in guides can be out of date. THis website is useful http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/00frame.htm as it lists all campsites near to motorways and highlights those that are open all year in red.
David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depending on which crossing you are using, here are some open all year sites in France. I assume that if you are going to Portugal you will be crossing from france at Irun on the west coast rather than down to Barcelona. I would suggest this route as it keeps fairly near the sea and while the weather may not be all that good, you should avoid very low temperatures.

Just north of Poitiers Le Futurist site is a very popular and good overnight stop. If you are coming from, say St Malo, then an alternative is Moulin d'Avergne at Pons. From either you could then get to Camping La Rouletta at St Jean de Luz almost on the border. I wouldn't linger in France on the way down and don't expect it to be very nice coming back until April.
Get the CC Europe 1 handbook (available to non-members at extra cost) and you will see full directions and descriptions of these sites.
Note that many sites only have 6 amp EHU so you won't be able to use all your electric heating. If you have a fixed bed van consider fitting an electric blanket. They don't use much power, but a warm bed is a great comfort even if the rest of the van is cold.
Going down through Spain it can be very cold once you get away from the coast. There are two open all year sites around Madrid, and one at Aranda del Duro about half waw from the border with France to Madrid. I don't go that way regularly so can't be of much help - I'm sure others will.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depending on which crossing you are using, here are some open all year sites in France. I assume that if you are going to Portugal you will be crossing from france at Irun on the west coast rather than down to Barcelona. I would suggest this route as it keeps fairly near the sea and while the weather may not be all that good, you should avoid very low temperatures.

Just north of Poitiers Le Futurist site is a very popular and good overnight stop. If you are coming from, say St Malo, then an alternative is Moulin d'Avergne at Pons. From either you could then get to Camping La Rouletta at St Jean de Luz almost on the border. I wouldn't linger in France on the way down and don't expect it to be very nice coming back until April.
Get the CC Europe 1 handbook (available to non-members at extra cost) and you will see full directions and descriptions of these sites.
Note that many sites only have 6 amp EHU so you won't be able to use all your electric heating. If you have a fixed bed van consider fitting an electric blanket. They don't use much power, but a warm bed is a great comfort even if the rest of the van is cold.
Going down through Spain it can be very cold once you get away from the coast. There are two open all year sites around Madrid, and one at Aranda del Duro about half waw from the border with France to Madrid. I don't go that way regularly so can't be of much help - I'm sure others will.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts