Sites in the Highlands

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am busy planning our touring holiday in May in the Scottish Highlands.Just south of Fort Augustus is Invergarry.

Here there are two sites next door to each other,and both 4****

Has anyone got knowledge of either of them?

1.Ardgarry Farm ( this one has a very nice web-site )

2.Faichemard Farm (40 pitches in 10 acres ) sounds good,but maybe someone has been and can keep me right.

Many thanks.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Maureen,

I have never stayed at any of these sites but Invergarry can be a bit isolated. However I can really recommend Glen Nevis campsite at Fort William. The site is located about 2 miles out of Fort William and sits below Ben Nevis. The whole area is absolutly stunning with so much to do I don't know where to start. - I should be working for the tourist board!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mac,

Thanks for your answer.We do actually live in Scotland,with Loch Lomond and the Trossachs on our door step.Invergarry is only one stop on our itinerary....isolated does not worry us for a few days,but I'm just trying to come up with the best in each of our stops.After that it is the Club Site at Bunree and then on to Killin before heading back home.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Maureen, I dont know if you are aware that at Bunree you cant put an awning up if you want a Lochside pitch. We were there for 4 days so it was worth it to forego the awning for uninterupted views. Another point is Killin, the Maragowan site is more open and have the full facilities but we stayed at the Clachan site which is very nice and wooded but absolutely alive with midges. I had midge bites on my midge bites cos the b*ggers couldnt find anywhere else to *** me. One evening at Killin we went for a drive to Kenmore. When we arrived it looked like the Village of the Damned. Everyone was walking about screwing their faces up and waving their arms like demented loons. I thought there had been a mass escape from the funny farm. I soon found out why when I opened the car door to go and take a photo. I think the little b*ggers had followed me from Killin, the air was thick with them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To LB.

That's why we are taking our holiday early May before the little blighters get busy.Living in Scotland,we know that the west coast is definitely out between end of May and end of August.Mind you,they are also at Troutbeck C.C in Cumbria,and they try to tell us they are Scottish midges migrating south !!!

Went to the Glasgow Caravan Show today and went to the Club stand where we spoke to the Scottish Sites Manager.He said that at Brora,if a large outfit such as a Winnebago is coming in,he likes to get advance warning,then goes out to meet them and guide them in over the humpy bridge etc.We have been told we will have no problems.

Also told us that Dunnet bay will not be opening until later in May as it is having up-grade work done.....needless to say that is another site we were going to so are having to re-jig the plans.Halladale Inn at Melvich might need to be the replacement....seems to be a 4****site for 6 caravans and 8 tents.Know nothing about it,but there isn't much to choose from up there.

Bunree we know very well,and Killin is a Sunday afternoon drive for us.Have visited ,but never stayed,so that will be fun.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Wendy,Yes,we are going to Altnaharra,but unfortunately we are going early May,so won't have the chance of meeting you.Have you got your new 'van yet?If so, I hope everything is in order.....10 days till we get ours,so I'm on a count down now !!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Maureen,

Yes we got our new 'van two weeks ago, and used it for the first time this weekend and we are over the moon with it. I bet you are really excited about getting yours too.

What a pity we shall miss you, I wanted to take two weeks in May but was only able to get cover at work for the first two of June. Never mind - we should be going back again for three weeks in September.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts