siting a german caravan

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Is anyone the owner of a german caravan or any caravan with the door on the "wrong" side? I would like to know of your experiences in siting the van - attitude of site owner etc - or any practical problems in having your jockey wheel "off the slab" brian.f

May 21, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't realy matter. I have a big twin axle van and because we travel as a family group, we often end up puting our van across our pitch to kind of create a U shaped area so we can use the area infront of the vans as recreational space for us all. We can have upto 5 caravans in the troop and three of which are pitched as described.

Most site owners are quite happy to discuss and advise before you set up. This is most helpful to both parties and often we are suprised by their willingness to assist.

I know the root cause is, that they want a safe site with van correctly spaced, but also they want a site which attracts people too, and often variety of pitching is an attraction to others who don't want to follow like sheep.

I have a moto at work as a supervisor and that is "give a little get a lot".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It doesn't realy matter. I have a big twin axle van and because we travel as a family group, we often end up puting our van across our pitch to kind of create a U shaped area so we can use the area infront of the vans as recreational space for us all. We can have upto 5 caravans in the troop and three of which are pitched as described.

Most site owners are quite happy to discuss and advise before you set up. This is most helpful to both parties and often we are suprised by their willingness to assist.

I know the root cause is, that they want a safe site with van correctly spaced, but also they want a site which attracts people too, and often variety of pitching is an attraction to others who don't want to follow like sheep.

I have a moto at work as a supervisor and that is "give a little get a lot".
I have been using German caravans in the UK for 15 years without any problem.

If I am going with family or friends I pitch so that we are "awning to awning" if not and someone is already on the adjacent pitches I put my van on hitch first so that it is not "awning to awning".

If I arrive on site with vacant pitches on either side then I reverse on. If anyone arrives on the pitch next to my awning I leave it for them to decide if the want to pitch hitch first.

It has never bothered me if anyone has their awning facing mine, after all those taking a UK van to the Continent do this all the time.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If you set a Continental caravan up next to a UK one with both couplings facing the same direction, i.e. awning-to-awning (or both awnings facing outward in opposite directions) then the lounge area will usually be at different ends. This is because Continental caravans usually have the lounge at the back whereas UK ones are usually at the front. Conversely, in order to have the same view from the lounge, one caravan would be facing one way, the other the opposite way round. But then awnings will both be on the same side when viewing the pair of caravans next to each other.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Hobby caravan..had it for 3yrs now..havent come across any problems so far....some funny looks from folk but thats all.We are in scotland so I cant vouch for any other sites.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
We work on a Caravan Site in Devon and have a few "wrong way round" caravans. They cause no problems other than we have to remeber to put them out the other way round. You might need to be careful of the 6 meter rule on some sites. Take a small wooden plate for your jockey wheel to stop it sinking. My experience is that you have a good caravan and its good to be different.

Apr 24, 2005
Visit site
We have a german van and have found no problem so far - the last site we went to was The Plassey in Wrexham - which was brilliant as we didnt need to reverse onto pitch but you could drive on ( even better for hubby who was driving). We did let them know in advance door was on other side - so they must have a few like this and be used to it as they were very organised. Well done the Plassey - lovely site - would recommend

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

We stayed at a park in Watergate Bay Cornwall in 2004 and were totally surrouned by contimental(correct spelling) vans.They were the 'norm' British vans were the minority, all makes and all very large, it was like being pitched up on a dealers forcourt.Take your van there and it will never feel lonely again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts