size and age of caravan

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
hello, I was wondering if anyone can help.

I have bought a secondhand caravan and just returned from my first holiday in it, great so much better than a tent.

But I dont know how old it is or exactly where to measure it to find out its length. Where can I find its age? and caravan length?

The awning that came with it is too big, so side windows hang at a slant, so I was wondering if anyone had any experioence in caravan shops doing swaps on awning, it is fab an isabells statesman. I would like the same, in same colour, (green & grey) but roughly two foot shorter along roof line. I have read about the A measurement and will do that in daylight tomorrow.

Thanks

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
laureen...Glad you had a good time. Some answers that might help.

The length of the caravan is measured as below:

From the end of the tow bar to the rear of the caravan is called the "shipping length" or the "external length". This is the entire length of caravan from front to back.

The "internal length" is sometimes quoted and this is the actual length of the caravan without the "A" frame. this is usually around 75-90cm shorter than the external length.

However, If you want to measure up for a new awning you need to measure the total distance around the awning channel on the caravan.

The best way to do this is to get some string and thread this through the awning channel on the caravan and allow the string to touch the ground at both sides. Then you can accurately measure the length of the string, from ground to ground, to determine what size awning you need. All measurements are now usually in metric centimetres.

Awnings are made in differing lengths and usually they go up in 25cm stages. Choose the one that is above your actual ground to ground measurement.

You say you like your existing awning but it is too big? Did you know you can get it modified (lengthened or shortened) to suit your caravan dimensions, if the difference is not too great.

There are a few companies that do this and it is much cheaper than buying new. I used a company called Trio Pair who did an exellent job of extending my awning by 100cm.

Their website is: www.triopair.com/

Mal

Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
there should be a silver plate just outside the door with the weight on and the year of manufacture is sometimes etched on the window worth a look

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts