Sky Q on site

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Anyone using a Sky Q box on site?
For many years I have used various Sky boxes, latest being the Sky HD Plus Amstrad box. I use a twin LNB with a 65 cmsemi eliptic dish. Sky have just fitted my neighbours home with a new Q box but for changed the dish to smaller squarish dish and different 4 out LNB.
If we upgrade to the Q box does anyone know if my current Maxview dish and LNB will be compatible?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Anyone using a Sky Q box on site?
For many years I have used various Sky boxes, latest being the Sky HD Plus Amstrad box. I use a twin LNB with a 65 cmsemi eliptic dish. Sky have just fitted my neighbours home with a new Q box but for changed the dish to smaller squarish dish and different 4 out LNB.
If we upgrade to the Q box does anyone know if my current Maxview dish and LNB will be compatible?

Dusty
This was posted a couple of days ago under a thread with same name:

What do you want a quad LMB for with Sky Q? You only need 1 Sky Q silver box to then connect your second sky q box to (assuming you need multi room in your caravan!) so only 2 cables needed.

All you need for Sky Q is a new wide band LMB. When my home Sky was upgraded to Sky Q the engineer was more than helpful - put a hybrid LMB on my home dish (so I could run both Q and an old Sky+ HD box for freeview in a third room), and gave me a wideband LMB for the van dish, all for no extra charge.

As for the dish, I just use a regular sky dish on a tripod- cost about £50. Tuning is done via a sky signal finder, at a cost of about £5 IIRC. Takes all of 30 seconds to find a signal, I can do it by the sun these days :D

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive , our current system also uses a quad LNB. Two for sky plus and two , one for each of two TVs free sat as opposed to free view.
I thought most of the earlier thread had been deleted?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Clive , our current system also uses a quad LNB. Two for sky plus and two , one for each of two TVs free sat as opposed to free view.
I thought most of the earlier thread had been deleted?

Dusty
The bit I quoted is still available but the original which was a copy of a company’s reply to an enquiry has gone. Cheers

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
The lnbs are different for regular and q.

A hybrid lnb (such as I have at home) can do both, and has 2 ports for sky q, and 2-4 for old style boxes. £30 odd off the bay of e.

Of course the question then becomes "does your dish take a standard sky lnb"? You can probably measure against your home dish (the width and height of the arm, and the two "ears" to clip it on being the important factors).

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
When at a park recently I saw 2 interesting things.

A guy with what I call a "larney" van arrived with all the bells and whistles. The self leveling system made me jealous but then up popped his auto tuning satellite dish. It spent about 20 minutes swinging round then flopped back down, could not find a signal.

Anyway not far away was another guy I spoke to because he had a small dish which did not look like a normal sat dish. He informed me it was his "satellite broadband" dish used for amongst other things his phone WiFi. No great shakes there, however we spoke about SKY Q and he had a very interesting comment.

Sky Q are soon going to have their full service on BROADBAND and he was waiting for that before using his SKY Q box/system in his van. In any case according to him Sky Q will soon be available (this year) on broadband and as it is services like "Netflix" already only work via broadband. He said tuning his "broadband" receiver was much easier than his past experiences with satellite TV sets.

BTW I am also reliably informed that Sky will soon incorporate "Netflix" into their bundles.
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-and-netflix-agree-new-partnership

Guess Satellite Dishes, LNB's and all that jazz is out the window for me. Improved WiFi + broadband TV is coming soon!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes it was reported in some of the business papers that Sky will be dropping new satellite subscriptions. I guess that would probably go for Freesat too at some stage. Such is progress.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts