skylights blowing off?

Sep 26, 2005
Visit site
I have heard of caravan skylights being blown off when the caravan has been in tow and the skylight has been left open. I am doing a project at school to warn people that their skylights and windows have been left open and would like some more information on the subject if anyone has any i would like to hear from you.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
What sort of information did you have in mind? How warning can be given that the skylight wasn't latched properly (i.e. a technical suggestion for a preventative measure) or an analysis giving details of how often this sort of thing happens (no idea who might have any knowledge of that though)?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Best practice before leaving home or site is to walk around the caravan to make sure roof lights down, windows shut, steadies raised, door locked, electrics OK, hitch secure, stabiliser engaged, pipes away etc etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes and don't lend it to your none caravanning brother, and notice the fact 3 weeks later when the floor is found to be nice and soft just under the gaping whole. Just one more life experience!

Sep 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi john

This happened to me when towing caravan into a 40mph head wind.

Didn't notice until stopped for tea break.

Phoned dealer who said it's a common problem.

The handles were still in place but the skylight had gone. We hadn't left it open, apparently the glue which bonds the handle to the skylight can become weakened by sunlight. This will lead to failure when strong winds are encountered.

For information my caravan is entering its 15th year, my BIL van is about 12 years old and he has had a similar experience. So this may be related to older vans.

If you want to design some sort of pressure sensor for each window and skylight with display to say which one the qick stick a patent on it and I'll let you test it on my van.

I look forward to reading the result of your project.

Tonus

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There's an easy answer why it happens. At speed the airflow over the roof of the caravan (or car for that matter, too) is such that the air pressure on the outside is much higher than inside the vehicle. An open sunroof is a good example of how air is drawn through the opening in the roof. As skylights are generally relatively flimsy designs, they will tend to flutter in the airflow. Eventually, the flutter results in fatigue failure of some component (hinge or latch) and then the skylight is ripped open. Sunroofs on the other hand, are much more rigid because they are purposely designed to work properly even when open, so they don't suffer from the same problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Part of your survey could include reported sitings of roof lights on grass verges/hard shoulders.

They are not an uncommon site although less prevalent than wheel trims !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Happened to us on our last caravan even though the skylight was closed when we set out. When we arrived at our destination went into the shower and thought it was very light, turned out it was , the skylight had gone. A replacement was easy to obtain and fit. Acording to the dealer it is as has already been said the bond between the handles and the skylight weakens over the years and in the turbulance of towing the skylight gives way. The dealer recomended changing it every 5-7 years. On our latest van I changed the skylight for a mini heiki which brightens the interior of the van. now havethe complete old skylight lying in the shed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts