Sleeping at Motorway Services

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Having read the arguments on both sides regarding overnight stays on the French 'Aires', what are peoples thoughts on trying to get a few hours sleep on Motorway services this side of the chanel. In summer we will be setting off from Preston after work on a Thursday evening to catch an early to mid morning ferry on Friday. We want to break the journey & stop for a few hours sleep mid way. In years gone by we have just driven through the night but this time we have a longer drive on the other side. We will want to stop late and leave early so a site is not really suitable. Any thoughts, tips or reccomendations?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello David (ML)

Without any doubt, if you continue on a journey when you know you are tired, then not only are you acting illegally but you are endangering yourself and other road users. If you need a break then yes be prepared to use motorway service areas. Even an hours kip can make a difference, and could save a life.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Firstly do what you want to do !

No doubt some smarty pants will warn you of an axe muderer on services ;-)

Many UK services have a time limit, and then you have to pay!

So beware of how long you stop.

Saw caravanners and a motorhome couple that had obviously been asleep at Cherwell Valley early yesterday morning as I rode to Silverstone yesterday.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Motorway services usually charge for parking over 2 hours.

Given the constant movement of nearby vehicles and the noise of refrigerated lorries, then actually getting any rest is nigh impossible.

Supermarkets, often very close to motorway junctions, used to be convenient for an informal stop-over but some of these now charge for parking over 3 hours.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
David (M.L.)

Three years ago went to Disney in France.

On the way we stop at travel log were we got there at 21:00 (9:00pm) and we left at 06.00 has you can post the key for the room in a box.

(When I book the room on the phone I ask for a non smoke room and a down steers room and it was going to sleep five. I was tolled if I cancel at the last min I would still have to pay for it. I throat it was ok. But when we got to the travel log they had not got use a non smoke room and it was on the third floor as well. I complained about in all I got was that was the only room we had left I said well I had book it on the phone 6 mouth ago and it was ok then so y was it not now. Then they said if you do not like it you can go so were ells my answer was it stinks as I would have to still pay as I paid on the phone all ready so would they give me my money back they said no.

So I had to take the room but when they come to book me in they said you got moor than four people in the room and we can not put five in that room. I said you had better phone your head office up as it seem that it's ok for them to take some money and not give them what they are pay for so in the end they let use all stop in the one room)

On the way back I did not stop but the when I got home a hour later I felt sick I put it down to drive for 3 hours on one side of the road and then 4 on other side of the road with only have 30 mins on the tunnel for a rest (we had to get back for some think).

Mark

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
This might not answer the question but the Folkstone cc site has an area for the purpose of early leavers.

When Travaling with a caravan one often has all that you hold dear with you. Make sure you rest when you need it.We have all done it I know. But it's essential to plan rest as part of the holliday.

ttfn

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
RogerL, The noise aspect was part of my concern - would we actually get any rest? As for supermarkets , I would be concerned at drawing attention to ourselves being the only van there and possible target for yobs and troublemakers.

Mark, I dont think a hotel would be any help as nowhere to safely leave car & van.

Mike, as we will be trying to stop very late at night, probably after midnight I dont think we would be welcomed at many sites, we were just after 3 - 4 hrs sleep ( as John L says, better than nothing and more than I've sometimes had in previous years).

Cris, Now you have got me worried - Mad axe murderers, I thought I only had to look out for unemployed french anaesthetists creeping about clutching large gas cylinders - now I find I have to watch out for murderers clutching axes as well - think I'll stay at home with the doors and windows boarded up.

mto

Jul 14, 2002
Visit site
We used to stay on motorway services somewhere down the M5 on the way from the Northeast to Cornwall, usually at Michaelswood.

We now take longer and have an overnight stay on a CC site somewhere.

They do now charge for staying more than 2 hours and because you park on the lorry park, it can be noisy.

We have had a lorry full of cows park next to us and refridgerated lorrys with the aircon running permanently.

I believe one of the services in Somerset, I think its the one near Burnham on Sea has a more caraven friendly parking area.

However if you do not want to use a site, the services may be your best option.

Good luck

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi David ML

If you're a member of the caravan club there is an info leaflet to download on the website that gives an up to date list of all the motorway service areas which offer overnight stops. It will tell you if there is a separate area for caravans. Gives Tel numbers if you want to book.

Helen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Golden rules if you're going to use Motorway Services for an overnight sleep.

ALWAYS park in the CAR PARK. If you park in the Lorry Park you'll get no sleep, as the drivers are on the move at all hours, and not to quiet about it.

ALWAYS park so that you can get a straight run out. You don't want to wake up to find you've been sandwiched into a corner.

The further from the actual services building you can park, the better.

ONLY use the Services for the loos. Motorway food is rubbish and ridiculously overpriced. Vote with your feet, and get a takeaway before you pull in for the night. You can always brew up a cup of tea in the van.

You WILL probably have to pay if you're there for more than 2 hours. Cheaper than a night 'on site' though.

Finally, don't forget to lock your car up. It's easy to forget.

Some of the late night roamers who are out and about may have criminal intent.

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
I agree 100% with keith. The lorry park is impossible. I found this out once at Taunton Deane on the M5 going to Cornwall. After about 2pm it was reasonable for about 3 hrs but it was hell on earth the rest of the time. It sounds like they are about to come through the van! Park as far away from it as possible. I will never do it again, thats for sure!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have stayed at motorway services overnight a few times when travelling from/to South coast ferries and, also, to Scotland, and home on Merseyside. As has already said it can be noisy if caravan and lorry areas are combined. We got next to a refrigerated M&S lorry one night and the refrig system kept cycling on and off.

On the other hand it is cheap and convenient and is flexible if you get held up by traffic conditions,etc. I am, also, deep sleep especially if tired after driving a long way. Very much you pays your money, etc. You do have to pay by the way, usually at the Shop. The Caravan and Camping Club Big Sites Book has a list of M'way service permitting night halts.

Security no problems but then I have, also, stopped at French aires without problem numerous times. Having said that I did not stop at a services near Glasgow on the way up the M74 to Scotland a few years ago. It was a huge lorry park and just did not seem right. Unfortuanately we broke down big-time, auto gearbox failure, near Balloch at little later and my by then increased tiredness made a bad night worse. I now always stop BEFORE I am too tired.

Regards

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Me again

I meant to say that remember it is ILLEGAL to use gas powered appliances anywhere on M'way services so you cannot cook food using gas whilst staying there. In addition as there are no EHUs not even a 'van-made cup of tea, unless you have a 12v kettle.

If you need to cook and eat a planned night halt at a campsite near the m'way be cheaper than staying at the services and paying their food prices - especially if there's a lot of you. We used to be 7 but are now down to 2 and Max the dog so we can almost afford to eat at services now, only take-aways of course. Need another mortgage for sit-down meals - though it is cheaper than breakfast on the ferry!!

lol

TIM

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts