Sleeping overnight in a french aire (layby)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't... is my recommendation, we used to do it frequently in spite of the clubs advice against this practice. But last summer our relation were parked next to us and were robbed overnight. There were also 3 children asleep in their 'van which makes the experience even more scarry.

The police said that it was common in that area (Lyon-Dijon)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your experience, but this must be fair warning to everyone, particularly those doubters who have been lucky enough to avoid such an incident up to now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think anyone has ever denied the possibility of being robbed on Aires. Such thefts can happen anywhere. What has aroused scepticism from many of us had been the claim that some sort of knock-out gas is used in these thefts, an allegation which Alan certainly does not make. We have given up using Aires, not because we ever had problems with them, but because it is a good deal more enjoyable to use a site within a short distance of the Autoroute. That way we can leave the caravan and go off to a supermarket or a restaurant and generally relax and wind-down. Much more relaxing and very cheap.

Oct 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Claire, interested in porac for a couple of weeks in august what is the average driving time and could you recommend any good stop-overs en route? Best regards

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Chrissie et al

The gas is a narcotic type, as said on a previous post - the first people know about it is a drunk feeling and dizziness. It is a bigger problem than the forums give credit for.

The problem is compounded by the fact that Caravan and Motor-homes are probably more productive targets than truck drivers.

Regards Monkeys H

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm afraid that I don't believe in so-called gassing.

Do you remember two or three years ago that a Moscow theatre was hi-jacked by terrorists,and the Russian SAS used a gas to 'stun' them, only succeeding in killing most of them as well several hundred hostages .

Have you ever read anywhere about anyone being killed by gas in this way?

No - cos it don't happen!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most of these stories begin "I know someone who heard that ..."

If guaranteeing a controlled period of unconsciousness was as simple as putting some dodgy gas near someone's face, then I could be an anaesthetist. Earnings

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
MIke P and Evans of Sprot - If you are non believers then that is fine however the seriousness of this problem is such that people do suffer post traumatic stress. If you want further proof I suggest you pick up a copy of Truck and Driver or Trucking International with your next copy of PC. I know first hand of people this has happened to - truck driver included and it is not something to be dismissed to the point that if an expereinced international truck driver of 30 years can be a victim so can you and me.

As for why rob holiday makers - theives take anything that they can lay their hands on i.e. Passports/cash/Identity etc which can all be sold on easily far easier and for more money than 10,000 kettles!

Monkeys Husband

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MIke P and Evans of Sprot - If you are non believers then that is fine however the seriousness of this problem is such that people do suffer post traumatic stress. If you want further proof I suggest you pick up a copy of Truck and Driver or Trucking International with your next copy of PC. I know first hand of people this has happened to - truck driver included and it is not something to be dismissed to the point that if an expereinced international truck driver of 30 years can be a victim so can you and me.

As for why rob holiday makers - theives take anything that they can lay their hands on i.e. Passports/cash/Identity etc which can all be sold on easily far easier and for more money than 10,000 kettles!

Monkeys Husband
There are far richer pickings than from holidaymakers. Why steal a passport when you can buy a dodgy one? And I wasn't thinking of kettles - mobile phones, computers, electronic games etc are very easy to sell.

All this makes me sound dodgy. I'm not! I'm just a realist who has heard many myths over the years. If you're going to steal a lorry load of stuff, there are far simpler ways of immobilising a driver than administering the alleged knockout gas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And there are people out there who believe that buying a GAS detector will give them a fail safe method of detecting so called GAS attacks. The ones on the market that you and I can buy are for specfic gases like Carbon monoxide and those that are flammable.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Does the advice given here apply to the full blown service stations (the ones with all the pucker facilities) as well, or are these generally ok fo an overnight??????

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Graham,

Like anywhere all over Europe you have to be sensible and cautious, I always apply the rule of parking with other vehicles. Unfortunately France is probably no worst than other countries. We as caravaners just hear about the issues more because we visit there far more than other countries.

Generally I don't believe that parking with a Service station in sight will help (based on the last 3 reports I've had of people being gassed in Service areas)

I could tell you load of stories of Albanians robbing people at knife point in Italy, and people being robbed by gypsies in Spain but it would put you and everyone off having a nice holiday.

Rather to Evans of Spot and others what you need is the combined gas detectors which detect Assault gases as well as normal (cooking/heating) gases. Secondly securing doors properly, fitting a small safe in a Bed locker. Fitting the old fashioned but effective rape alarms with string to the door is an effective and cheap fix.

I know it's easy to be overtaken with the holiday spirit and let caution to the wind, but this could result in a memorable holiday for the wrong reasons

Regards Monkeys husband

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at a few aires on the way through France this year because of the difficulty in finding sites open in January.

One night we stayed close to some large lorries but had to move after a while because of the fumes from their engines running and fridge compressors. The exhaust smell in the van was very strong - could this be the foundation of some of these reports of narcotic gas?

One precaution we use is to mount a rape alarm on the wall by the door on velcro and attach the cord to the door,so the alarm is activated when the door is opened and the blast of noise is right alongside the intruder. Being held on velcro the alarm can be removed and stored in a drawer when not needed.

Clive

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at a few aires on the way through France this year because of the difficulty in finding sites open in January.

One night we stayed close to some large lorries but had to move after a while because of the fumes from their engines running and fridge compressors. The exhaust smell in the van was very strong - could this be the foundation of some of these reports of narcotic gas?

One precaution we use is to mount a rape alarm on the wall by the door on velcro and attach the cord to the door,so the alarm is activated when the door is opened and the blast of noise is right alongside the intruder. Being held on velcro the alarm can be removed and stored in a drawer when not needed.

Clive
Clive, good to see your advice on alarms. Believe me Narcotic gas is very different NOx which is probably very high on a fridge unit because they run on red diesel which has up to four times the sulphur levels of a good quality diesel such as optimax

Keep trucking

Regards Monkeys husband

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
We were unfortunate to be broken into and robbed whilst we slept. Yes in a service area near Lyon. Unable to find good enough measures to retify this problem for the return journey we had a dingi oar wedged through the door handle and rope tied from the door to the bunk beds. Happy to say once home that internal locks were fitted. Could have happened anywhere!! It's a lesson learnt so easiest thing is to make such it can't happen again. We haven't been put of by this and are planning next years hols still taking same route, but with slight alteration - won't be stopping near Lyon or any big town etc or any aire that runs parallel with local road.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I really don't understand why anyone would want to risk themselves, their property and their families by stopping in what most people think are dodgy places.

And all to save ten or twenty quid by not stopping on a campsite.

There are campsites in every department of France that are open all year.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
We've been stopping in aires for many years, as have thousands of lorry drivers who travel up and down Europe every day.

I've heard stories of thieves and breakin's on campsites too.

There are risks everywhere in life.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mr Evans of Sprot

Re my original posting - we did not sleep over in an Aire to save 20 quid or so but to enable a break after a day driving before driving for another day, thus to reach our site in Spain (which cost 35 plus quid or so a night). So please do not be so quick to judge others and condem them for being tight fisted. I was merely attempting to share the experience with others and to let them decide for themselves.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mr Evans of Sprot

Re my original posting - we did not sleep over in an Aire to save 20 quid or so but to enable a break after a day driving before driving for another day, thus to reach our site in Spain (which cost 35 plus quid or so a night). So please do not be so quick to judge others and condem them for being tight fisted. I was merely attempting to share the experience with others and to let them decide for themselves.
Oooooooooo.

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Hello Mr Evans of Sprot

Hi all, Everyone has their opions on where they stay overnight, but after five years of traveling down through france to southern spain. during the winter months. I find it less stressfull to find a camp site for the night. Is'nt 10 or 15.00 pounds better than a stressfull night worrying what could or could not happen while'st on an aire or garage forecourt. Ther are plenty of sites which are open during the late autumn winter months.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, Everyone has their opions on where they stay overnight, but after five years of traveling down through france to southern spain. during the winter months. I find it less stressfull to find a camp site for the night. Is'nt 10 or 15.00 pounds better than a stressfull night worrying what could or could not happen while'st on an aire or garage forecourt. Ther are plenty of sites which are open during the late autumn winter months.
Exactly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mr Evans of Sprot

just found this site i no you logged in a while ago,2 of my son in laws friends and families 4 adults 7 kids were gassed last yr they took money clothes and rings off their fingers 2 other brits in vans also hit but not any other vans in aires,it was at the big aire between millau and clemont the one with the big stones we call it stonehenge,we have stayed in aires for yrs but will not anymore.these familes will not go to france again ,the police told them it was a gang of russans going around and targeting brits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts