Slight leak around rear large Heki

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. There must be a slight leak in the sealant at the from corner of my Heki rooflight as we are getting a bit of water in when it rains hard, which is dripping down through the grills along the front edge. I plan to take out the outer sealant for a few mms with a pick tool and replace it. What sealant would you recommend me to use?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " I plan to take out the outer sealant for a few mms with a pick tool and replace it."

In a word,,,,,,,,,DONT.
You will create a bigger problem as new sealant will not stick to old.
If there is a leak the only way of fixing it is to remove the rooflight , clean it and the van of all old sealant and apply new, refit the rooflight.

If it is windy and very wet where you are the water is probably being driven in under the lip of the rooflight.
There was a fix to stop this happening to some extent and that is to get a length of L shaped plastic slightly longer than the width of the rooflight and glue it to the roof in front of the it .
Sealant to use to fix ,,,,,,,Soudall Fixall.

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Cheers Damian. Hadn't really wanted to have to remove and reseal it but if that is what is needed I will have to get on with it. Only immediate issue is removing the little grills underneath the inside out undamaged as they seem a little frail!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They should come out quite easily, use a thin blade like a paint scraper to slide in the side and gently lever out one side, the other side will follow.

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. Regarding the Soudall, I take you mean RV61? Will one tube be enough to go all around a Heki 2? Is that all I should use?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The sealant I use is Soudall Fixall in White.
You can use RV61 if you want to , but they both do the same job.

I would have two tubes ready as you want a generous bead that will squash out as you tighten the unit down, then tool off to a tidy finish after, but before it starts setting.
Yes you will have waste, but its a good seal you are after so well worth the extra cost of a second tube just in case one is not enough.

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your help everyone. In the end I decided to use W4 Mastic. The old mastic came off very easily by being rolled off using a flat screw driver blade and the rooflight has now been refitted. The old mastic was almost none existent on the 2 front corners where the water was getting in. It has been away in all the recent heavy rain with no sign of any water ingress. Removal took about an hour and removal of the mastic a further 30 mins. Replacing the mastic took about 45 minutes. You need a couple of people to position the rooflight before you gently lower it in place. It has to be in the correct place centred in the hole as once you drop it you won't be able to move it again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts