Smart phone technology - what is your favorite App

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Sproket said:
If you have one..... Do you try to make use of the technology that is now available for a smart phone rather than just playing games on them ?? this has got to be for me the best 99p bargain for the information that it gives you....
I have to admit that both of us are guilty of not using over 95% of apps available on the phone. Phones are used for photos, contacts, voice and text messaging and texts between us are less than 30 a month. I suspect many other people only use about 90% of what the phone can offer them. We have never used the GPS facility and never found the need. Neither of us have ever played a game on either of the phones.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
"Smart" phones - too smart for me, my phone 'Nokia brick' (still have to light a fire to get steam up to get it going.) Still it's always in my pocket and it can actually ring people up! and it's even been known to send and recieve text. Good job it's got a vigorous vibrate on 'cos I'd never hear it anyway. Lap top has this 'smart' system on it in windows 8 and I think it's the worst operating system ever devised. Apps - horrible word, - 'Progress' -- bah humbug!!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Surfer said:
Sproket said:
If you have one..... Do you try to make use of the technology that is now available for a smart phone rather than just playing games on them ?? this has got to be for me the best 99p bargain for the information that it gives you....
I have to admit that both of us are guilty of not using over 95% of apps available on the phone. Phones are used for photos, contacts, voice and text messaging and texts between us are less than 30 a month. I suspect many other people only use about 90% of what the phone can offer them. We have never used the GPS facility and never found the need. Neither of us have ever played a game on either of the phones.
frankly where smartphones are concenrned i doubt many of us even use 30% of a smartphones ability. using it as phone or for texting hardly makes up anything of what it is capable of.....and by 30% i mean me. and i have sky go on it, two proper sat navs over a gig of music, torque app which is a diagnostic tool for motors vehicles and much more but i know its still hardly 30% of what its capable of...

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
"Smart" phones - too smart for me, my phone 'Nokia brick' (still have to light a fire to get steam up to get it going.) Still it's always in my pocket and it can actually ring people up! and it's even been known to send and recieve text. Good job it's got a vigorous vibrate on 'cos I'd never hear it anyway. Lap top has this 'smart' system on it in windows 8 and I think it's the worst operating system ever devised. Apps - horrible word, - 'Progress' -- bah humbug!!
yeah alas i agree you have the worst of the worst. windows and windows apps! they missed the boat back in 2009/10 as did nokia! sad story really they got into bed with each other and distroyed the biggest phone maker into an also ran!...

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
JonnyG said:
Surfer said:
Sproket said:
frankly where smartphones are concenrned i doubt many of us even use 30% of a smartphones ability. using it as phone or for texting hardly makes up anything of what it is capable of.....and by 30% i mean me. and i have sky go on it, two proper sat navs over a gig of music, torque app which is a diagnostic tool for motors vehicles and much more but i know its still hardly 30% of what its capable of...

I am guessing but when you buy a new Smartphone, you probably paid for those "apps" that you will never use or maybe never know about. The phone is Smart because us dummies are being rippied off by it. LOL!
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
theres always some difference between apps that are free and the same app that you pay for. it can be merely a lack of adverts on some, but mainly a paid app does or shows much more than a none paid app....

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I was in a restraunt on Saturday. A couple were in there sitting opposite each other. Each had a smart phone out and were flicking away. Didn't see them look at each other or speak. They could have been texting each other or perhaps they had found those really good apps that Sprocket is on about!
mel

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
JonnyG said:
i have torque app which is a diagnostic tool for motors vehicles and much more
Is this the Torque App that you are running ? what type of bluetooth adapter are you using .... are you using it for constant fault code monitoring ..... as for the waiting in the car while the OH is shopping I watch this or the BBC iplayer ..... & I have 23 editions of PcV with the Zinio magazine App ....@ the touch of the screen...... now try carrying them all about in your pocket .....

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Sproket said:
JonnyG said:
i have torque app which is a diagnostic tool for motors vehicles and much more
Is this the Torque App that you are running ? what type of bluetooth adapter are you using .... are you using it for constant fault code monitoring ..... as for the waiting in the car while the OH is shopping I watch this or the BBC iplayer ..... & I have 23 editions of PcV with the Zinio magazine App ....@ the touch of the screen...... now try carrying them all about in your pocket .....
yes thats the version i have the paid one, great value and i bought a ELM 327 bluetooth socket for about £18 a few years back,not one from overseas and its worked fine [some dont[.. i mainly use it for engine readings boost, fuel pressure, air temp and Mass airflow readings ect and bar having to compensate for the boost pressure reading on my mondeo, it works fine. i do occasional do a diagnosic test, but dont seem to have any faults. but i did unplug the MAF once to make sure the diagnostics worked and it picked up fault codes straight off...Its not perfect but for a few quid its amazing value....

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
I will look into getting a ELM 327 for the truck, as i am sure i have seen either the ABS light flicker or it was the Air bag light flicker either way for the sake of a few quid from what I have read it should show up & log any problems ..... But going back to the OP having tried it numerous times now & the average speedometer comes into itself when traveling up here near Leeds due to the average speed cameras that we have on the M62 & M1 at the moment.... it takes care of all the guess work .....

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
That speedo looks great, I'm definitely going to invest in that...

I use Navfree - it's a free satnav function (I think a paid version is available), and since I downloaded it the TomTom hasn't been out of its case. It's a bit tricky to programme POIs by Lat/Long but it is possible and not many people would want to do that anyway.Programming destinations by postcode or street address is fine.

I've got a couple of geocaching apps (CacheMate and the GC.com standard), and I use MemoryMap for geocaching and also general navigation.

A couple of ham radio apps (APRSDroid and Repeater).

Voice dialler plus - it does exactly what it says on the tin, so I can dial hands free while driving - trouble is it doesn't work while the satnav is running, don't know why but I solve that by not phoning people while I'm driving!

Text answering machine - if someone texts me whle I'm driving, they get an auto-reply saying "I'm driving, I'll return your text later"

Talking SMS, which speaks received texts to me - not as good as it could be because it uses the phone speaker even when I'm wearing the bluetooth headset, and even with the volume cranked up to 11 I can't hear it over the engine noise. It's a shame because when it's audible it's a really good app.

And yes, a few games too...

TRENDING THREADS