Smart Speakers - what do you do with them?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have a Google Hub in the kitchen, and it's quite a nice clock display, and a reasonably good speaker. We ask for the weather, and it gives good local info. We ask for music of a particular type, and it usually provides it. That is all we use it for, but (BUT) it has a weird way of muscling in on our conversations! We are sitting chatting over a coffee and the damn thing joins in. I tell it off, and it apologises, then minutes later does it again. We have a conversation about something we might buy for the house and up comes an advert for one, or more. Slightly creepy?
My Alexa is not that intrusive, but occasionally very funny. If I say, “charger off/on”. She sometimes provides info on the LA chargers. Other times she just butts in with weird random things.

John

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
We have a number of Echo Dots and Smart plugs. One of the most useful things is the "routines" function. We turn a couple lights on an hour before sunset (which suits the house position). We've done similar with the in-laws which makes their life much safer going upstairs as darkness falls, and the landing light has switched on at sunset...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have a number of Echo Dots and Smart plugs. One of the most useful things is the "routines" function. We turn a couple lights on an hour before sunset (which suits the house position). We've done similar with the in-laws which makes their life much safer going upstairs as darkness falls, and the landing light has switched on at sunset...
I thought the same regarding lights at night but instead opted for movement sensing bulbs in the hall and on the landing. That way the area is covered all through the night too.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies to my original question. From those and what I've read elsewhere I'm convinced I don't need one or even want one.

Having spent most of my life as an engineer in the High Tec sector my qualifications and experience mean I don't get flustered when confronted by an on/off switch or door knob. Although I have had some confrontations with glass sliding doors that I thought were automatic and turned out not to be.

However, it's given me some thought about an Alexa powered toilet cassette for caravans. It would have to do more than tell me its full; the nearest dump station is 352m southeast of my current position; that I'm low on toilet fluid and that it can order me some - would I like blue or green and that there's an exclusive offer for Prime members of 2 for 1 on Incontinence Pads.

The problem I see is getting it to empty itself so if you have any suggestions please let me know and I'll cut you in on the royalties.

Happy New Year

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies to my original question. From those and what I've read elsewhere I'm convinced I don't need one or even want one.

Having spent most of my life as an engineer in the High Tec sector my qualifications and experience mean I don't get flustered when confronted by an on/off switch or door knob. Although I have had some confrontations with glass sliding doors that I thought were automatic and turned out not to be.

However, it's given me some thought about an Alexa powered toilet cassette for caravans. It would have to do more than tell me its full; the nearest dump station is 352m southeast of my current position; that I'm low on toilet fluid and that it can order me some - would I like blue or green and that there's an exclusive offer for Prime members of 2 for 1 on Incontinence Pads.

The problem I see is getting it to empty itself so if you have any suggestions please let me know and I'll cut you in on the royalties.

Happy New Year
The idea that the toilet could" know things" would put a lot of people off.
"Hello Sam. You back already? Oh my word ...." No, I dont think so.

Reactions: RogerL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The idea that the toilet could" know things" would put a lot of people off.
"Hello Sam. You back already? Oh my word ...." No, I dont think so.
In my industry system design could take two approaches.... Top Down, or Bottom Up.

Which would be the best method?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts