Smelly carpet

Oct 13, 2006
Visit site
Hello

Originally posted in 'Technical' but only had one reply!

I dropped half a tub of cream when clearing out the fridge and it went on carpet. I did mop up with cloth and w/u liquid straight away on Sunday. Went in van yesterday and its starting to pong!. Ive been told bicarb and cat litter will get rid of odour, but does anyone have any other advise on getting rid of smell?

Thanks Kay

Oct 13, 2006
Visit site
Kay,

I assume your carpet is non removable. I would either hire a carpet steam cleaner or see if a local carpet mobile cleaner can help.

Hamer
Hi Hamer

Yes my carpet is non-removable.

Thanks for advise.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Try some diluted white vinegar, the vinegar smell goes away once the vinegar has evaporated.

It will clean it and kill any smelly bacteria or yeast.

Should not affect colour fastness but you might want to try on some out of the way carpet for peace of mind.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kay

If you are going to an expence of hiring a steam cleaner,and at the same time you dont say how old your van is,i would consider a new carpet,i put a nice bathroom type in mine for less than

Oct 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Kay

If you are going to an expence of hiring a steam cleaner,and at the same time you dont say how old your van is,i would consider a new carpet,i put a nice bathroom type in mine for less than

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
When we got our van (older than yours) the carpet was pretty revolting.

As usual, it had been put down first, and the furniture built on top.

I just took a very sharp Stanley knife and cut round tight up against the furniture, then scraped and pulled up the carpet, prising out various staples as I found them.

It was a pretty messy job, the carpet being a foam backed type and the foam having disintegrated - lots of dust. If yours is the same, cover all the furniture with old sheets and wear a breathing mask.

Once it is up and the floor cleaned it is not too difficult to put down a replacement, and you should be able to pick up suitable offcuts quite easily.

I went for lino (cushionfloor), which looks good and is easy to clean, and you can put rugs on top as required, thopugh we have never bothered. You can get metal strips to screw on round the edges, which hold it down and conceal any rough bits - looks pretty smart if I do say so myself.

How long will it take? Our 12' van took a couple of days.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had this problem after we spilled some milk. After trying various methods without success, we covered the area with a raw onion and left it for several days.

We cleared up the onion and vented the van for a further few days and have never smelt it since, that was two years ago.

Good luck with it

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Morning Eddie

Thanks for your comments, that sounds a better idea, our van is 1997 and I must say the carpet has seen better days. Was it easy to fit? and did you do it yourself?

Kay
yea just take your time and as the carpet is fitted first in the van then the furniture so that means you will have carpet under the lockers you cant get out,the old one came up easy as it was rotten,Go for a change of colour.I went green the same as the curtains and it made the van look so different,and while the carpet is up check all the delam in your flooring,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts