Smelly cooker

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Picked up the new van last Sat and took it for a night on a site near the dealers - compements of the dealer. Discovered a few probs with the van so it went staight back on Sunday. The first fault was discovered as we arrived on pitch. Could not lower either front leg as the front running lights cables had been tied around the leg! dealer came straight our and rerouted the cables. Settled down to cook supper and an awful burning smell(like plastic) from the cooker. Thought it was just because cooker new so opened all windows and waited for the smell to disappear. An hour later the smell still there so turned all off and tried again in the morning with same result. A few other 'minors' so left with dealer to remove and inspect cooker and fix other faults. Picked up the van yesterday. Evidently dealer had the cooker on for a couple of hours after removing the cooker and look behind etc. Manufacturer reckons it just burning off and should be ok. Going to try it again tomorrow and if still smokes I shall reject it. Have to say not impressed with Elddis PDI. Cooker is Thetford Duples oven and grill. Is it normal for the cooker to be so bad?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure I would be very happy with a dealer who let a van go out without checking basic things like the front legs, and, as you say, factory PDI ???. Perhaps they each left it to the other.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Ray S said:
Not sure I would be very happy with a dealer who let a van go out without checking basic things like the front legs, and, as you say, factory PDI ???. Perhaps they each left it to the other.

I doubt very much if a PDI was done on the caravan as the cooker should have been tested as part of the PDI. As for not checking the steadies, you got to be kidding!
It seems the dealer has charged you for a PDI and not done one. I would be requesting a refund fo the PDI money paid just to be awkward.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yet again another example of totally unnecessary carelessness on the part of main stream manufacturer.
you really have to ask what idiot is being employed tieing cables to steady legs.
Maybe another example of the perils of piece work using unskilled labour.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts