Smelly sink!

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks.

just a quick question.

We bought our 2nd hand van at the back end of last & when using the kitchen sink, after the water had gone down, about 5 mins afterwards we are left with an awful stink!

is it ok to use a gel sink unblocked you would use in a normal kitchen at home?

we have done all what we think we can, touch of bleach, hot water etc etc, but nothing is working so far.

have flushed the water system out with Milton etc, the normal after winter storage, but again, left with a stink from the kitchen sink.

any advice is much appreciated!

thank you

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Are you sure it's not your waste water container that "stinks". We use a regular dose of cheap disinfectant in it and give it a good swill round so the disinfectant coats all the inside surfaces of the container. Works for us.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It could be a combination of sink waste pipe and/or wastemaster.
To cure the sink pipe area plug the outlet and use soda crystals and very hot water to fill the pipe and leave to do its work, then drain off.
You can also do the same with the wastemaster.
The majority of problems with sink waste pipes is that they use convoluted pipe which traps debris in the folds.

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys.

it's not the waste master as that is not connected at the mo as van is sitting on the driveway! I've just plugged up the ends of the pipes & used a whole bottle of Milton, bi carb of soda & lots of hot water, just letting it sit in the pipes for an hour or so then will flush that out!

fingers crossed it works! Failing that, pegs on out noses!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you have used a whole bottleof Milton I hope none of the mixture is in the sink if it is a stainles steel sink !!!!!!!
Milton MUST ONLY be used as per the makers dilution rates as it is extremely corrosive and will do permanent damage to stainles steel.
Also, mixing chemicals is a very dangerous thing to do unless you know for a fact that neither wil react with the other.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The liquid product I use is called Puri Sol , one capful per 8 ltrs of hot water.
Plug the sinks external discharge drain, also keep the bathroom sink plug in to stop the water through the plug hole. Slowly fill the water into the kitchen sink allowing the air bubbles to discharge , I keep filling until the water is above the sink plug hole.Leave to soak for 8 hours release the external drain plug and flush clean water down both wash basins.
The inside of the caravan discharge drain pipes are not smooth, this allows smelly products to stick in the grooves, The method has always worked for me Royston

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
You can buy two products for this. One is based on hydrogen peroxide and a blue dye. Dilute and put down sink, having plugged the outlet. Don't forget to do the bathroom sink as well as the sink and bathroom often combine. There is also a powder based on boracic acid that just goes down the plug hole. Used as directed both safe. Take care with soda as it dissolves aluminium and zinc. Could damage the chassis if spilled on the galvanizing. (Sorry I don't know products' names.)

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Agree with above, some systems are combined in fact im just sterilising all my water system ready for easter, I fill a couple of polythene freezer bags with newapaper or tissue paper block up the outside pipes then pour puri sol and leave overnight drain rinse a number of times then I pour some cheap bleach 35p from bnm pipes are smelling sweet n freash

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Our drains don't smell, I put it down to the fact that I sterilize the water system before ever trip, and flush it down the drains.

We just use the wife's wine making steriliser bought from Wiko, called Bruclens at the moment.
As we tend to tour every 4/5 weeks it never smells, even over winter, when its laid up for 4/5 months.

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks peeps.

I think it was to do with the previous owners, it smelt the 1st time we used it last year.

Fingers crossed it's sorted now, it seems to be ok, but our 1st trip out in the van at easter will be the telling.

Thank you for all advice on different products!

:) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts