Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Anyone had a bad smell i think from there water pipes cleaned out my waste water pipes( with milton) after last outing 21st july this year.went into the van today WHAT a smell like a very bad sewer smell i think coming from my waste anyone got any thoughts to what it might be

Cheers

Duggie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Duggie

Ive had the same problem I cured mine by buying caustic soda from homebase, I blocked my waste pipe outlets using old corks then filled my sink, wash basin and shower tray with water put in a tablespoon of the soda in each and left it for 30 mins, removed the bungs from waste pipes and flush through with clean water, didnt bother connecting up just used a watering can,You will be supprised at how much muck comes out your pipes thought I had skinned a snake lol!! I now do this once a year and have no problems

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We once left fishcakes in the freezer box of the fridge at the end of one trip. 3 warm weeks later the smell was horrendous. Hubby blamed the pipes and spent ages flushing them through until the true culprit was discovered. Worth checking the fridge just in case.

mel

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Do what Rick suggests - but mix the soda with water before filling the waste pipes so that the soda reaches the very bottom of the pipes where you've corked them up - this is where any fat residue congeals as the water cools down in the waste pipes. It builds up and can cause a very nasty smell indeed. If you just add soda to the top of the pipes you'll clear the tops, but the far ends of the pipes might still have a problem.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Just picked up on this thread.We have an end bathroom and recently noticed a horrible smell,a bit like fungus.No obvious signs of any damp, but will now take up the advice and flush with soda crystals.

Thanks

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We have suffered from the same problem. We found that a little domestos in the waste container cured the problem, as the 'gas' eminated from there, after it the lid was screwed down and 'closed' for some time. It was nothing to do with the pipes in the caravan.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I probably go over the top but part of my packing away procedure each time I use the van is to put soda crystals down the sinks and shower outlet and pour hot water on to cleanse the pipes. I also ensure that all fatty stuff is not put down the sink, wiping frying pans etc. out with kitchen roll before washing. I also find the creamy shower gels leave a residue so I do the soda and I run the hot tap until the tank is empty to flush it out each time I use the van, there really is nothing like that awful smell.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
I think I'll try this - at the moment when closing the caravan up I just put a disinfectant down the plug holes and put the plugs in.

Can I just make sure I get the right thing though - is it Soda Crystals or Caustic Soda, there's a big difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts