Snake Pass

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are going from Liverpool to Castleton andI see that the AA recommended route is via Snake Pass. Is there any way of avoiding this or has some one had experience of towing over this pass safely?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is possible taken carefully but you will not be popular with other motorists. You would be better taking the A6 from Stockport to Chapel-en-le-Frith, then the A623 and pick up the B6049 through Bradwell.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Towed a car transporter trailer down Snake Pass once. The tow car was a Range Rover the load was the same. At the bottom the brakes were overheating badly. My advice is to avaid this route with a trailer at all costs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that advice. On reading your comments we decided to change to the CC site at Buxton instead. We are picking our new van up at Glossop caravans so would have had to gone over Snake Pass three or four times. Decided not to bother.

The CC site at Castleton looks good though and we will go in the future, but take the route suggested by Dusty. Thanks again. Roz and Roy Gladden

Oct 17, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that advice. On reading your comments we decided to change to the CC site at Buxton instead. We are picking our new van up at Glossop caravans so would have had to gone over Snake Pass three or four times. Decided not to bother.

The CC site at Castleton looks good though and we will go in the future, but take the route suggested by Dusty. Thanks again. Roz and Roy Gladden
I've used snake pass lots of times, once was in a transit car transporter with a trailer which was also loaded with a vehicle. If you drive reasonably according to what your towing you should be fine, i used the gearbox most of the time. I wouldnt worry about people behind you as caravanners already have the stereotype of being slow moving vehicles. There are a fair few places to pull over and stop if you are travelling away from glossop to check your vehicles. Anyway, I'd be more bothered about sheffield than the snake pass. Have you enquired with glossop caravans as to their recomendations? Alternatively the A6 is ok but around the houses and you still have to negotiate long uphill and downhill stretches of road. I'd stick with the pass anyday of the week (apart from snowy weather of course). Good luck

TRENDING THREADS