Snowbirds

Oct 14, 2006
Visit site
We are embarking on our first long term trip in October. We are off to Spain, despite being very excited, we are full of aprehension, any tips and info from you guys who have done this before would hopefully help us avoid any pitfalls. We are flying back for Xmas to be with the family for 20 Days. Hope some of you can give some good advice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Go for it. Look at other threads about routes etc. and don't try to get there too fast. Depending on crossing and ultimate destination, the route down the west coast of France and then over to Valencia misses potential trouble spots around Barcelona and Madrid.

Take more than one credit card and some photo ID. Dont keep all cards in one place.

Join Caravan Club or similar and get their European guides - much more informative than most of the commercial ones. Red Pennant insurance and emergency service is very good too.

As ever when travelling take less clothes and more money than you first think. In most of the usual snowbird places there are plenty of stores with british foods etc so you don't need to stock up too much.

Be prepared for smaller pitches than you may be used to in UK. If you have a large van I would fit a mover before going. Electicity may not be more than 6 amp so forget the domestic kettle and toaster. If. like me, you still use old fashioned camera film, it may be worth buying some on-line as it seems quite expensive in Spain.

Many pitches will be hard, so have rock pegs rather than plastic if you have an awning, plus a big hammer. Gas for 6 months will probably mean getting a cylinder there (Repsol or similar) Have enough on board for a week or so and then ask other "residents" - I'm sure you will soon be sorted out, although this needs a bit of thought if you van is new with the fixed regulator - you may need to arrange a bypass.

Get uptodate maps - Michelin for Spain and Portugal is good. Exits are known by their kilometers from a large city, so it makes it easy to work out how far you have to go (since mainroads are marked every kilometer).

I'm sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, but I'm envious I can't go in October too and have to wait until next january.

Enjoy.

Oct 14, 2006
Visit site
Go for it. Look at other threads about routes etc. and don't try to get there too fast. Depending on crossing and ultimate destination, the route down the west coast of France and then over to Valencia misses potential trouble spots around Barcelona and Madrid.

Take more than one credit card and some photo ID. Dont keep all cards in one place.

Join Caravan Club or similar and get their European guides - much more informative than most of the commercial ones. Red Pennant insurance and emergency service is very good too.

As ever when travelling take less clothes and more money than you first think. In most of the usual snowbird places there are plenty of stores with british foods etc so you don't need to stock up too much.

Be prepared for smaller pitches than you may be used to in UK. If you have a large van I would fit a mover before going. Electicity may not be more than 6 amp so forget the domestic kettle and toaster. If. like me, you still use old fashioned camera film, it may be worth buying some on-line as it seems quite expensive in Spain.

Many pitches will be hard, so have rock pegs rather than plastic if you have an awning, plus a big hammer. Gas for 6 months will probably mean getting a cylinder there (Repsol or similar) Have enough on board for a week or so and then ask other "residents" - I'm sure you will soon be sorted out, although this needs a bit of thought if you van is new with the fixed regulator - you may need to arrange a bypass.

Get uptodate maps - Michelin for Spain and Portugal is good. Exits are known by their kilometers from a large city, so it makes it easy to work out how far you have to go (since mainroads are marked every kilometer).

I'm sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, but I'm envious I can't go in October too and have to wait until next january.

Enjoy.
Ray, I would like to thank you for taking the time to reply, both to my request for info & your advice on the route, which I agree after looking at it makes good sense.regards & who knows we may see you at La Manga

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Rod,

I have met a few " snowbirds " and they all seem to really enjoy it. I have been watching the thread looking to see what other people say. We are thinking seriously about a couple of months in the winter. Good luck thank Ray

Val & Frank

Apr 7, 2005
Visit site
Rod,

I have met a few " snowbirds " and they all seem to really enjoy it. I have been watching the thread looking to see what other people say. We are thinking seriously about a couple of months in the winter. Good luck thank Ray

Val & Frank
snowbirds we have been in spain two winters running first time 4 months second time 5months this year 5 plus great times meet lots of people doing the same take your time planning useC club euro site guide and C& C rally site giude enjoy your travells Ellis &celia

Oct 14, 2006
Visit site
Rod,

Val & Frank
Ok, route sorted thanks to ray, however I have been looking through the CC guide to Europe and can't find an all year site around Poitiers which seems about right for first night stop. Any advice or recomendations for sites around Tours, St Jean de Luz, Pamplona, Zaragoza, Tereul, Valencia, would be greatly appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts