Snowflakes in Cumbria

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have been reading a report where one motorist was stuck in snow for 19 hours in Cumbria and he didn’t make the wedding he was travelling to. He bemoaned the fact that the emergency services hadn’t brought him food or water and he’d had to ration what stuff he had.

Who are these dipsticks that go on journeys when the weather warnings are dire, then fail even to take the basics in case they should be held up.

It happens every time that snow falls despite good and timely warnings. It just adds to the workload of the responders.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sad to say there will always be those who believe these weather warnings do not apply to them and will carry on regardless. As long as most people adhere to the warnings given and stay safe inside if possible then we can only hope that the emergency services are only called out to the emergencies which couldn't be avoided, Looking at the weather today through the window staying inside and safe is the best option .

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sad to say there will always be those who believe these weather warnings do not apply to them and will carry on regardless. As long as most people adhere to the warnings given and stay safe inside if possible then we can only hope that the emergency services are only called out to the emergencies which couldn't be avoided, Looking at the weather today through the window staying inside and safe is the best option .
Having a good set of winter or all season tyres will help……….get you to the end of the traffic queue more quickly🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We carry water in the cars all year round. In the winter, we chucked in a couple of cans of food preferably with the pull off top. Also two sleeping bags.

You could be only 5 miles from home, but if the weather turns suddenly you may be stuck for hours as foolish to wander away from the vehicle.

I wonder if Sam is out skiing today?

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Nanny state I'm afraid. Some people no longer accept that they are responsible for their own stupidity.
The 'stupid gene' was almost eliminated from the human race. As an example, in days gone by people with the stupid gene would walk too close to the edge of a cliff, fall off and die. Those without the gene stayed away from the edge and lived to breed. Then we put signs up to tell people to stay away from the edge so some people with the gene survived and bred. Now we build fences to make sure they survive and breed. We've eliminated natural selection.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Rather than making all the effort on Artificial Intelligence more needs doing about Natural Stupidity.

Many years ago I was on a road closure due to snow, some chap came up andinsisted we let him through. My cremate gave him a card luggage label and a pen "Please put your full name, date of birth and next of kin on this and tieuit onto your steering wheel"
Whys that?" Says the driver.
My mates response cracked me up.........

"So we know who you are, and more importantly, who contact, when we find you frozen to death when we eventually get the road open again sir thats why"

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Yes, this time of year brings out the worst in many drivers. While clearing the snow of my car this afternoon I was surprised just how many motorists hadn't bothered and just used the windscreen wipers to clear the screen leaving the other windows covered in snow. I attended many incidents over the years caused by snow sliding off the roof of a car under braking which completely blinded the driver and resulted in a crash.
Then you've got the 4x4 drivers who think they are invincible. Ice and the laws of physics have no respect for whatever driver safety gizmos a vehicle may have.

Some may already know about The Darwin Awards website. It's hilarious the lengths people will go to to rid the gene pool of the idiocy gene. Take a look if you've got a spare minute.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Winter survival kits are still a must . Son covers N Yorks in his EV Vivaro carrying warm clothing water and crisps. No Greggs or Subway on the moors🙀. The Vivaro leaves home fully charged. This winter will be a big experiment for he and his colleagues. with the EV in poor weather if stranded. On a serious note would it be worth his while carrying a portable Genny?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We carry water in the cars all year round. In the winter, we chucked in a couple of cans of food preferably with the pull off top. Also two sleeping bags.

You could be only 5 miles from home, but if the weather turns suddenly you may be stuck for hours as foolish to wander away from the vehicle.

I wonder if Sam is out skiing today?
Sadly no. We don't get much snow on Skye. In the last 10 or more years only twice have we had to turn the car around and go home because conditions weren't that good.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
RMK, ( Rural Milton Keynes ) doesn't get much snow, but I still carry all the essentials in the car, florescent coats, energy bars, water, dog food, it taste like Corned beef, according to my mate. Millenco grip tracks, fold up shovel . And now an emergency power pack that doubles as a battery jump pack. Normal keep it in the motorbike. There is the single use BBQ, for emergency, . And the snow chains, never been used in anger. We did have 2cms once. Bought them for travelling to Switzerland in winter.
All this stuff probably adds 25 kg.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Winter survival kits are still a must . Son covers N Yorks in his EV Vivaro carrying warm clothing water and crisps. No Greggs or Subway on the moors🙀. The Vivaro leaves home fully charged. This winter will be a big experiment for he and his colleagues. with the EV in poor weather if stranded. On a serious note would it be worth his while carrying a portable Genny?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sadly no. We don't get much snow on Skye. In the last 10 or more years only twice have we had to turn the car around and go home because conditions weren't that good.
Bristow's, the Helicopter Company I worked for, had an "operation " with a Wessex 60, on the IoS, for a year or Two 1970s ISH '' . Sadly I wasn't on that, . I believe a lot of friendly flying for local farmers was done at no cost. I know the lads had a great time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts