So disheartened :(

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
we are hoping to buy our first van soon. It wont be a fortune, probably around £2,500. we are ideally looking for a 4 berth. My main requirements are an oven and cassette toilet.

We have been to a few local dealers this morning and the prices were scary! Added to that our car is a PT Cruiser which gives us a limit of 1000kgs.

Im beginning to think that we are not going to find anything suitable. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what make and model to look for?

Thanks

Jane

x

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Dealers are naturally more expensive than buying private. I'd use them to idendify which model suits you best and the scour the Internet, local paper classified ads etc. to find that model cheaper.

I think a lot of people have caravans they don't use, but cannot easily sell, also a lot of people never get around to selling things they don't want. How about putting a wanted notice in the local post office or shop window?

I was given my previous caravan, a perfectly clean and serviceable Compass Echo 1986 model, the owner couldn't be bothered to sell it.

What about trying your hand on Ebay?

Also, always try and haggle with the seller, even if they are a dealer.

Of course buying secondhand means you have to check that what you are buying hasn't been in a bad accident or is stolen, so consider a hpi check and get the seller to demonstrate that everything works.

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
Thanks guys, I am feeling slightly more confident today! I think my problem was I wasnt looking beyond the dealers. Having spent an hour looking at completed auctions on ebay I realise that Im going to get more for my money privately.

I suppose I am a typical female! i want everything yesterday LOL.

Ill keep you updated, and thanks for the moral support!

Jane

x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
yay! we have a van!

A 1992 Lunar Sunbeam in wonderful condition. We did take a damp meter and couldnt get any reading anywhere in the van at all which was pleasing. Especially as it had just been jetwashed! Its also remarkably light at around 750kg which is more than ideal for our PT!

It didnt come with much as the owners are having a new van, but we shall spend a pleasant winter now buying bits and pieces, making curtains and laying vynil floor before ready for the off next year!

Thank you all for your help.

Jane

x
If you are buying "bits and pieces" over the winter get in touch with Towsure and scan their catalogue. They have a vast array of what you ned and at very reasonable prices - www.towsure.co.uk or phone them at either Sheffield, Birmingham or Southampton whichever is the nearest. As previously stated in this forum - welcome to our world and enjoy your many years of freedom whilst holidaying.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jane, I'm glad your not disheartened anymore but beware, you may get to like caravanning too much and within a couple of years the Lunar will be on its way, as you will have been tempted at a caravan show or suchlike by something newer and shinier and MUCH more expensive.

Good luck with your first year and remember most people you meet on site are very nice people who will be pleased to help if you require it. Ray

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
hi jane,we were like you looking for our first caravan and also went round lots of dealers but the prices were scary.went on ebay and got ouselves an abi award nightstar which came with everything...awning aquaroll pot and pans etc.i would definatly reccommend ebay but make sure you go and have a good look round it before bidding!!!

Ray i agree about people been friendly on campsites,we were pleasantly surprised how helpful people are and love going carravanning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts