Sockets/ battery issue

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi I am completely new to owning a motorhome so will apologise now for asking what may be an obvious question! Can someone tell me whether the sockets should work or not just off the battery? I tried turning the TV on whilst no power was connected and it wouldn't work, nor would the socket in the kitchen area. All the fuses are fine and everything else is working except the sockets! Please help!

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Some tv's will work off a 12v supply, but if your's is 240v you will need to connect the EHU cable to the mains ...

Have you just got the vehicle ?

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your help, yes we got it about three weeks ago. Can you tell me if this the reason the socket in the kitchen area won't work either?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Yes that will be the reason ...

Question

Has it been serviced recently if not I would suggest that you arrange for it to be done ;)

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Great , I thought I was going a bit mad trying to work it out! I am quite technically minded but this is a whole new experience for me :)) thanks again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Newbie

With the fitting of a 12Vdc to 230Vac inverter you could run a limited number of 230V appliances without a mains hook up.

The usual problem is that 230V appliances tend to use a lot or power and the 12V batteries in caravans/motorhomes are not a bottomless pit of energy

For example trying to run 1kW fire requires a 1000W at 230V that would require a battery to be able to supply an inverter with at least 85A. most caravan batteries would not last an hour before being completely flattened and possibly damaged by drawing so much current, and you would need a big inverter to handle the power.

They do exists but, but a good quality one with a pure sine wave output would be several hundred pounds.

In reality you have to compromise a little, The big electrical power users are usually heaters, for which there are usually gas powered alternatives already fitted, Smaller items like TV etc, there are some that can be plug directly to the 12V dc circuits.

Using a site with an Electric Hook Up is a usually a much cheaper option, or find the delights of living without relying on instant 230V power at the flick of a switch - It can be fun!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Newbie. I am on here for moral support not technical support so be prepared for someone to tell you that I am wrong (this possibility has never stopped me before :) ). You will also find that your fridge won't work on electric unless you have an electric hookup. It will work on gas, and possibly off the motorhome engine battery (don't put it to run on this unless you are driving as it will soon be flat) but not the Leisure battery. The microwave (if you have one will probably not work off the leisure battery either.

Keep posting. I know this is a caravan forum but motorhomers are welcome and there are loads of technically clever people on here (not me) and loads of really nice people. (like me :blush: )

mel

(P.S. To Prof John. We got one! )

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mel said:
.............(P.S. To Prof John. We got one! )

Don't tell everyone or they'll all want one! what ever 'one' is

Seriously I 'm not sure what Mel is referring to, but she does make a good point about the fridge. The fridges fitted by all the major caravan/motorhome manufactures are multi-fuel appliances being able to be run on mains 230V ac, or LPG or 12V dc They are designed to to run on 230V when a mains hook up is available, or on gas when there is no hook up. the 12Vdc system is so the fridge can continue to be cooled whilst on a journey as it is not safe to use gas when travelling.

To ensure the fridges 12Vdc system does not deplete the car or caravan batteries it is wired so it is only live when the engines alternator is producing power.

Most fridges draw about 8.5A at 12V and would deplete a charged caravan battery in between 10 to 14 hours.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I was referring to our shared view that this forum could also host the motorhome forum (sigh). "Our website" thread.
But thanks for the vote of confidence in my fridge advice. :)
mel

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I take it the sockets you are referring to are the same as the 13Amp sockets fitted in your home,it which case they won't work on 12 Volts dc.You need the caravan to be connected to a 230Volt 50Hz. supply,then check the circuit breakers in the consumer unit are in the "on" position.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts