Solar charger with no normal charger

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2020
Visit site
My caravan is fitted with a 80watt charger and I never need to use the charger when its laid up, and I do know Bailey fit a 100watt, so agree with others that 60w is a little small, in fact off mains I would want a lot more when the caravan is being used.

My 80 watt panel performs faultlessly with the factory cheap unit.

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Im assuming the heater works off 230v as well as ive had it on and heating with no gas attached. When I serviced the heater I had to remove all 3 sources, 12v 230v and Gas. I assumed the 12v was to ignite the gas if needed but would also heat but am I right in saying the heater will only heat on 230v and Gas.
How do I get it started on Gas then?
You need 230v or gas to heat the water. But 12 v ignites the gas. Otherwise it would not be possible to live off grid. So if you are off grid water can only be heated on gas.

Reactions: McLosi
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Im assuming the heater works off 230v as well as ive had it on and heating with no gas attached. When I serviced the heater I had to remove all 3 sources, 12v 230v and Gas. I assumed the 12v was to ignite the gas if needed but would also heat but am I right in saying the heater will only heat on 230v and Gas.
How do I get it started on Gas then?
Apologies. My mistake as I meant to add gas and EHU, but forgot to type the EHU bit. LOL!

Reactions: McLosi
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks, I wasnt aware of this, I assumed it ran on the 12v system. Do they ignite on their own then when turning on at the panel? I had no water when the battery went so just assumed I lost the water heater as well.
I think this needs to be clarified a bit. Most (if not all) modern caravan fridges and water heaters are multifuel products . Even when bulk heating or cooling is powered by LPG, they also need a few watts of 12V power to run the appliance's control panel.

Reactions: JTQ
Jul 23, 2020
Visit site
I think this needs to be clarified a bit. Most (if not all) modern caravan fridges and water heaters are multifuel products . Even when bulk heating or cooling is powered by LPG, they also need a few watts of 12V power to run the appliance's control panel.
That does make sense as our control panel was dead, so assumed i had no hot water, although the water pump was dead as well so didnt have water to test if it was warm anyway.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is correct as on some Truma units you need the 1.5v which is found underneath the Truma 2000 heater. Also some fridges required a battery which cna be found behind the fascia. I do not know the model or year of the caravan so a bit of a guess in the dark. I don't think a batter is required for the boiler though?

Jul 23, 2020
Visit site
That is correct as on some Truma units you need the 1.5v which is found underneath the Truma 2000 heater. Also some fridges required a battery which cna be found behind the fascia. I do not know the model or year of the caravan so a bit of a guess in the dark. I don't think a batter is required for the boiler though?
mines a 97 Elddis :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes mine has a small battery to ignite the Truma on gas. Change it each spring as a dust out the bowels of the heater.

Jul 23, 2020
Visit site
So just came back from 4 days with the 60 watt panels fitted and it's done me just fine, battery hardly dropped below green and was charged back up the next day. Assume I use a lot less 12v than everyone thought.
Naturally not on EHU will be a different matter but this has done exactly what I wanted it to do so happy days.

Reactions: xtrailman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts