Some businesses still operating in “covid mode”

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The WHO released this statement this week.

The planet must prepare for a potential human bird flu pandemic, warned the World Health Organization. The strain H5N1 has already jumped from animals to humans, being reported in otters, mink and foxes. During a virtual briefing, the WHO’s director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that although the risk of the virus jumping to humans was still low, we “cannot assume that will remain the case and we must prepare for any change in the status quo”. Currently “there is no evidence the bird flu virus can pass between humans”, said the New Scientist, but the virus is lethal, “killing 56% of people it does manage to infect,” said Forbes.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Currently “there is no evidence the bird flu virus can pass between humans”, said the New Scientist, but the virus is lethal, “killing 56% of people it does manage to infect,” said Forbes.

Without actual figures 56% is meaningless. If 10 people in a billion contract the disease and of those 10 people 6 die, then there is a 60% death rate which sounds awful, but is a negligible amount if taken in context to 1 billion people! :unsure:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Without actual figures 56% is meaningless. If 10 people in a billion contract the disease and of those 10 people 6 die, then there is a 60% death rate which sounds awful, but is a negligible amount if taken in context to 1 billion people! :unsure:
That’s WHO numbers for you😜

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I was at Tesco supermarket this week the amount of customers still wearing a masks and still washing your hands so not to feel the odd one out put mine on .
Take care keep safe everyone

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What really annoys me, is how some people seem so self centered they simply don't think of others and don't seem to be prepared to observe even the most basic of hygiene such as washing hands after visiting the loo's, covering when they cough or sneeze. No wonder Covid and other viruses manage to spread so readily.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I was at Tesco supermarket this week the amount of customers still wearing a masks and still washing your hands so not to feel the odd one out put mine on .
Take care keep safe everyone
I won’t get started on masks because I don’t want to turn this into a big debate, but those alcohol hand sanitisers are DISASTROUS for your skin. Their use should be discouraged. If you feel you need to wash your hands then soap and water is the order of the day. I have awful eczema on my hands so if anyone in a shop or wherever expects me to put that awful stuff on them they can do one.

99.9% of people my way are living their normal pre-covid lives, no need for any rules, regulations or guidance. Barely a mask to be seen anywhere , no “surges” or “spikes” in cases here.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I went into our GP’s a few weeks ago, Only one woman wearing a mask. I was called in for the nurse, and she for the doctor. I then saw her doctor running around the corridor and asking if anyone knew where he could get a mask. Luckily I could tell him they were on the front desk.

Precautions are one thing. But paranoia is another. We have a friend, a retired nurse, who has that trait. Many years ago we took our caravans to Prague. She read that there are lots of ticks there. Fearing Lymes disease she was the only one that got an injection. As suspected. The built up areas were tick free. But on our way out towards Dresden, getting nearer to the border, there were many young scantily dressed ladies lining the woods. She did say she hoped they had been properly injected!

Covid has made her extra parraniod. She will meet her daughter and son-in-law and grandson as she fears they may otherwise become estranged. But she will only meet others in the open. Only gets food deliveries and still quarantines packaging and mail.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This thread started with a comment about how some people are still applying anti Covid protection techniques . It apparently annoyed and mildly inconvenienced the OP.

A legitimate observation based on an experience is fine, but considering the effects that Covid has reeked across the world, is it fair to criticise people who for whatever reason feel it's necessary to continue to protect themselves from catching the virus.

Just becasue a Politician announces the cessation of government interventions against Covid, it just means the Gov't will no longer fund the process, or its a vote looser. It does not mean the risk has been entirely removed.

Perhaps there people employed by the shops who were unable to have the vaccines, and are therefore still highly vulnerable?

Just becasue their needs do not align with someone else's experience or beliefs does not automatically make them wrong or a target for ridicule for what they are doing.

Personal experiences are just that, and it's unreasonable to hold up one experience and to assume it's the same for everyone.

As Beachball very eloquently stated "Each to their own"

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
This thread started with a comment about how some people are still applying anti Covid protection techniques . It apparently annoyed and mildly inconvenienced the OP.

A legitimate observation based on an experience is fine, but considering the effects that Covid has reeked across the world, is it fair to criticise people who for whatever reason feel it's necessary to continue to protect themselves from catching the virus.

Just becasue a Politician announces the cessation of government interventions against Covid, it just means the Gov't will no longer fund the process, or its a vote looser. It does not mean the risk has been entirely removed.

Perhaps there people employed by the shops who were unable to have the vaccines, and are therefore still highly vulnerable?

Just becasue their needs do not align with someone else's experience or beliefs does not automatically make them wrong or a target for ridicule for what they are doing.

Personal experiences are just that, and it's unreasonable to hold up one experience and to assume it's the same for everyone.

As Beachball very eloquently stated "Each to their own"

As you did not quote a post and you posted immediately after my post, I will assume you are referring to my words. Apart from the general observations I made, the comments regarding my friend were in no way criticising her for continuing to be careful. She is fully vaccinated and no more vulnerable than the next person. She fully knows and admits that her actions are unnecessary and over the top.

She is paranoid. and she fully realises and admits to this. So much so we are concerned about her. I also wonder if others are similarly affected.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have one friend who seems to be Paranoid about going out, he had a heart attack 16 months ago whilst out cycling, and since then we have only been able to get him to come out if the temperature is about 18 c. He has had all his Covid and Flu jabs, it will take time for us to get him out again. And he is only 74
John I posted this earlier, and yet again yesterday we tried to get our friend out for a pub lunch, He does manage it once every 6 weeks or so, but this is a twice a week thing, Wednesday just the lads and Friday with the wife's along for a natter, he does enjoy it but nearly always makes an excuse, not to come along.
We have a Monday Zoom meeting for 40 minutes to decide where to go on a Wednesday, and he is always enthusiastic until the last minute. Slowly slowly Catchy monkey. No PC comments need, thanks.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
John I posted this earlier, and yet again yesterday we tried to get our friend out for a pub lunch, He does manage it once every 6 weeks or so, but this is a twice a week thing, Wednesday just the lads and Friday with the wife's along for a natter, he does enjoy it but nearly always makes an excuse, not to come along.
We have a Monday Zoom meeting for 40 minutes to decide where to go on a Wednesday, and he is always enthusiastic until the last minute. Slowly slowly Catchy monkey. No PC comments need, thanks.

I have been trying to get our friend to meet in an airy garden centre for coffee. She understands the logic but keeps putting it off.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On a lighter Note, a weekend Pub local, Laurie, a young 93 year old with a 23 year old daughter, he is always out, no pills for blood pressure or Cholesterol. And when you ask. Him , how are you, is answer is, " Still above ground. "

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts