"Spam" emails

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm with BT Yahoo which has a spam filter. Rather than downloading straight into Outlook Express, because one or two spams get through and I tick them as spam, I check BT mail first because sometimes the filter stops the occasional genuine mail. While looking in the spam box there are always loads from all the banks and some building societies. I've never opened one yet because these people wont ask for your details online. They stay where the filter dumped them, in the spam box. Apparently the vast majority of them come from Nigeria.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Wendy,

I've also started getting Nat West e-mails recently and am very curious to know how they got my e-mail address as we are not customers of theirs.

Maureen

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
I think I'm right in saying (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that banks and building societies never ever use e-mails to contact you or do business as it were so any mails pretending to be from any bank are spams. I must be lucky because I recon I have been spamed from every bank on the high street on a regular basis. Like His windyship mine go in spam filter box and once checked (nothing opened) get deleted en-mass

Here's one I get worth looking out for, a mail from a 'person' with the heading 'invoice attached' or 'advert proof required' or some such message to get you thinking. The text box will be completely empty but there will be an attachment document to tempt you to click on. I think is a new one so lokk out for it.

The sad thing is there must be loads of people who shall we say are less 'street wise' who do / have fallen for these mails and all the other 'you have won a prize dial 0906' and time share scams and I do genuinely feel for these people

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Never respond to these e-mails even if you happen to use that bank, they are 99% "phishing" emails and as said are used to try and get your bank details.

Never click on links within them as that will confirm your email address to the phisher/spammer.

If you believe an email may be genuine contact the bank through their own website (not links in the email) or directly.

Most banks also have a reporting link for these emails as well and if you forward them they will tell you if genuine and you may also put the phisher out of business as a bonus.

These emails are usually easy to spot because of use of dodgy english and if you right click on a link and select properties the URL will be an unrelated address or an IP address i.e. 3 numbers.3 numbers.etc.

IF IN DOUBT DELETE THEM OUT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts