Spanish Toll Charges

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am looking for info on the cost of the toll roads in Spain, are they similar to the Peage in France, which we find exhorbitant. Also if you choose the normal 'A' type roads, as we will probably do, how are they for towing a caravan on? We are intending to visit from Biarritz to Pamploma, Salamanca, Madrid, Valencia then up the coast to France via Barcelona. It will be our first visit to these area's so any help or suggestions will be well received. We will be there in late April through May.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Although charges have gone up they are still less than in France.

For your route you could do most of it toll free.(In fact, to Valencia, completely toll free)

When you leave Biarritz go to border at Irun, probably using the toll road for convenience and ease of towing - you could miss this stretch but only if you want to go through town centres.
At the border be in the right hand lane and then turn off the main road in about 100m, signed Pamplona N121A. This road is not four lane but is pleasant to drive and saves both miles and fees. Go round the east of Pamplona and to the south . you then have the choiice of the AP which is toll or N121 which is not. We always take the AP down to the Tafalla / Olite junction for a few euros toll - gets you out of Pamplona easier (and we are in the middle of long day so need to cover the ground).
At Tafalla / Olite leave the AP and get on N121 again direction Tudela Turn left to Valtierra and bypass Tudella to the north joining A68/N222 direction Zaragoza just east of Tudela.

Then it depends where you are going to stop - if before Valencia. We go to a nice if slightly expensive site at Sabinan/Savinan just off A2 Zaragoza to Madrid and north of Calatayud. Depending on time of year there is not much open until you get near the east coast. There is a site in Zaragoa itself but it has mixed reports and some say difficult to find. The Sabinan site does a 3 nights for two deal and it's a nice place to stay.
To get there from route above, you can follow N222 to Zaragoza and than take A2 south. However, there is a short cut leaving N222 about 10 km after it hasstopped being A68 (becomes two lane from 4) to Magallon on N122 and then A121 to Fundejalon and La Almunia to join A2. Be aware A121 is not a main road despite the number and is somewhat rough in places, but ok if taken at a reasonable pace and much better than the outskirts of Zaragoza at rush hour. From Sabinan either take the very scenic but easy route south towards Calatayud the east onN234 Daroca joining A23 at Mon Real de Campo or go back north on A2 to La Almunia, turn right to Carina and join A 23 there.

The rest of the Autopista past Teruel to Valencia is also toll free, so it is quite possible to get to Valencia completely toll free.
There are sites on it at the eastern end - favourite for most people is Navajas / Segorbe but it is steeply terraced with sharp corners and can be difficult for outfits longer than about 11m. total.

Sorry can't help with the return north of Valencia only to say we did this on our first trip to Span many years ago but much prefer the route described.

An alternative should you retrace the route is to go north from Zaragoza to Huesca area which has some nice sites and great scenery and then back into France through the Somport tunnel.

In Spain 'A' does not necessarily mean a main road and there is some confusion between A and AP on the major roads. The section around the south east of Pamplona is called PA.. just to confuse things further. Trick is to know the towns along the route and follow signs to them. Also keep in mind where Madrid is relative to where you are going, as you may find junctions signed to Madrid but not mentioning towns along the way. I've found even updated satnav with caravan facilities quite unreliable in places and prefer so planning, Michelin maps and some home made route cards - just like the old days.

The tol lcharges on the coastal autopista in the Alicante to Murcia area are reported as quite steep. I guess there will be a website with details as there is for France or perhaps the major clubs have data. Charges are more for twin axle caravans than single and if your total outfit length when hitched is longer than 12m. you should think about putting the required 'long vehicle' plates on. These need to be a certain design for Spain. On the spot fines can be quite steep (100 euro) although incidence of people being stopped is quite small.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Realise I've misread your OP. Sounds like a pretty extensive trip unless you have quite a time to do it. However, some of it my previous may be of use. Be aware many Spanish sites have relatively high charges for short stays - say up to 3 nights, sometimes twice the nightly rate for a two weekly stay.
I got carried away with anticipation of doing the route described in about 6 weeks time, incited by the totally foul weather outside the windows.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Ray,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, we do have plenty of time to do the route, and intend to spend time in Pamploma, Longrono, Salamanca, Avila, Toledo, Madrid, Valencia, Tarragona then we will visit our nephew in Mataro north of Barcelona. We normally spend 2-3-4 nights in each place, depending on how large the place is and what it has to offer. However I may have to revise the plans, due to you pointing out the additional charges for only spending a few days. I will use ACSI and would hope that the price will stand even for an overnight stop.

We used the Toll Roads in Italy and felt that the cost was reasonable and justified by the time saved and probable better mpg. In France over the years we have found that as we have the time, it is better and more interesting to use the minor roads. I do have the Garmin Camper Sat Nav which I think will prove very useful for our first visit to Spain, as it has our vans details built in to it. We have a Swift 565 which is 7.25metres long so need sites that will accept a mid length van.

Your reply has given me a lot more confidence to visit Spain and has allayed most of my fears about the trip.

Many thanks and best regards,

George

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I've just left the site at Salamanca having travelled to it from Bilbao ferry terminal. I went along the A8 coast motorway to Santander then turned inland on the A67 all the way to Salamanca. It was an excellent dual carriageway and it didn't cost anything in toll charges. Now I'm almost at the Costa del Sol and I still haven't paid any toll charges. Also if you travel on the A1 from Burgos to Madrid, that also is an excellent dual carriageway which is toll free

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jaydug,

Thanks for this info, can you confirm which site at Salamanca, as in ACSI there are three to choose from. I will likely pick up the A67 at Valladolid, I as will be coming from Logrono via Burgos.

Thanks again and best regards,

George

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
The site I used at Salamanca was Camping Regio. It's a fairly large site but only the one toilet block - although it is very large, so best not to pitch too far away. Camp reception is closed in winter so use hotel reception. About three miles from the old city but very close to the motorway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts