Spare Wheel Access

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Whilst fighting to get my spare wheel out of its underfloor rack to check the pressure, and fighting again to replace it I wondered why manufacturers don't do what, I believe, Avondale used to do and that was to have access to the wheel via a panel in the floor ? Is there a good technical reason ? I appreciate that this may have created a floor which, perhaps, didn't look particularly pretty but the easy access to the wheel may out-way the negative. If it was under the carpet it probably wouldn't be seen anyway.
This made me think further about a retro-fit of a suitably constructed cradle and floor reinforcing. Would this be possible ? I'm not suggesting that I'm going to get my saw out but it may be that soomeone spots it as a business opportunity, a bit like the companies that cut a hole in your car roof to fit a pop-up sunroof about 20 years ago.
JohnM
PS If someone does take it up as an idea can I have my 10% please !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have long thought the same thing and indeed have done some measuring up on the vans i've owned. The problem seems to be that space in front of the axle is occupied by the brake actuation rod or cable - usually rod, and the space behind bu underfloor drain pipes etc, plus 9depending on layout restriced area available.
Another factor with larger size vans is that the tyres are becoming wider to accommodate increased loads and this means that the depth under the floor may not be sufficient.
I had even considered a simple bolt and spreader plate solution with the wheel under rather than in the floor, but the tyre width precluded this - probably just as well.
The 1992 era Swift Corniche had the spare in a dedicated locker at the rear of the van, accessed from outside. although this goes against the ideal of not having heavy things at the back, it worked well for me and I have often wondered why so many makers are reluctant to use the rear panel for access - say for the toilet - as this would prevent having to remove the cassette through the awning on some vans.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea why the Avondale system was never taken up by other manufacturers or why they dropped it but it must have been he best solution. The tyre was secure clean and easy to accessin there. My only consolation is that I have Mayday cover and if I have a puncture and cannot access the spare easily they will do it for me.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Raywood said:
I have no idea why the Avondale system was never taken up by other manufacturers
I'm fortunate in that I have an Avondale with a spare wheel well in the floor. Looking at it, there's a fair bit of extra work in cutting the hole and buying in, and fitting the actual well. Other manufacturers and later Avondale themselves would ask themselves, "Why go to the expense when the spare wheel can be pushed underneath on a rack?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,
I had the same thought about three years ago when about to go onto the Continent.
The wheel access cradle becomes a Death Trap "Over There", because it is accessed via the "Wrong Side" of the road and requires the remover to sit in the middle of the road whilst performing the act.
smiley-surprised.gif

I took the cradle off the 'van and put the tyre under the bed. This has a couple of benefits.
1. The tyre is easier to access in case of a flat, and,
2, There is a degree of flexibility in its position in relation to nose weight.
Having said all that, I didn't sell my servicing agent about it's location and the 'vans service was conducted without the spares pressure being checked.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My caravan has a dedicated spare wheel holder in the front locker. That's as least as good a place. It doesn't get dirty there, either, and it's removable without lifting the carpet.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I had a puncture on a French motorway this year and although I pulled onto the hard shoulder, the repair man had to lie in the carriageway to retrieve the spare from the Alko carrier under the van while the safety man (who had already positioned his van with flashing lights 100 metres back) stood in the road waving his arms at the oncoming traffic. It was notable that the repaire man took considerably longer retrieving the spare from the carrier than actually changing the wheel - and I certainly would not like his job!

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
When we had the mover fitted I bought a underslung carrier for the spare wheel, but as the knees are on there way out, it has now gone back onto it's dedicated spare wheel holder in the front locker, it weighs in at 21.5kg, but it's easier to get at & I have fitted a flexible tyre valve extension ( the valve is near the bulkhead ) & I have brought it back through a hole in the rim to make it a easy job to check the tyre pressure, rather than having to remove the wheel to do it.
smiley-wink.gif

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
All your comments, which are much appreciated, have got me thinking more. An earlier caravan that we had, (I forget which one), had a dedicated spare wheel space in the front locker along with holders for two gas bottles. If I used all the spaces the nose weight was far too heavy but with our Abbey Vogue, getting the nose weight heavy enough is usually more of a problem, (especially if SWMBO takes enough clothes for 6 weeks even if we are only going for 6 days ). I am now wondering if I could make some sort of securing device for the spare and keep it in the front locker. I don't often take two gas bottles with me unless I know I'm getting towards the end of one. Over the years I have learned that 1 x 7kg bottle usually lasts for about 35 days although even that is now lengthened as our hob has an electric ring which we obviously use whenever we can.
On the other hand, and this is very much tempting fate, in 25 years caravanning I've never yet had a flat tyre so am I worrying about something that, hopefully, may never be needed. (If you see an Abbey Vogue with a flat tyre on the road from Derby to Skegness in a week's time it will almost certainly be me ! ! !).
JohnM

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When travelling abroad I always used to remove the spare from its carrier and carry it in the van: it's much safer that way. Now I do it all the time wherever we tour in Europe or UK. On arriving at our site the wheel just gets pushed under tha van and is secured with a strong security chain. With an awning in place its impossible to spot by the passers by.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Securing a spare wheel in the front locker should not be too much of a problem. You could secure a suitable strap - those used to hold the gas bottles into their cradles would be ideal. Fasten to the front bulkhead with suitably large screws with large washers under the head.

If you can get access to the inside of the front bulkhead - i.e. inside the van, then you could put a couple of small bolts through instead.
Space the screws or bolts in a vertical line at the 12 oclock position of the wheel, with one just over the top of the tyre and the other inside the wheel. Then when you strap the wheel in dull the strap up tight.
I was quite surprised to find out the realitivly small size of the screws holding in the gas bottle cradles when i moved one of mine recently, so don't over-engineer the fastenings - the strap will not be carrying the weight of the wheel.
I carry my spare either under the van bed or in the car - easier to access when in the car as it only just passes through the door of the under-bed locker I have a fairly substantial spare wheel cover, remember that should I have to change the wheel, the defective one may well be wet and dirty.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My caravan came with a threaded stud attached to the front bulkhead and giant wingnut to secure the spare wheel. There's no reason why such a spare wheel attachment could not be retrofitted to any caravan so long as the bulkhead is substantial enough to carry the weight of the spare wheel.If in doubt, one could always add a reinforcement plate to spread the load.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
the bailey has a dedicated spare wheel carrier in the front locker "super" exept as someone said it weighes over 20kg and thats on the nose weight, trying to get it down to 50kg for the meriva is hard enough without adding more weight.
mine lives on the van floor right in front of the cooker as far back as possible with the EHU cable stored in the dish of the tyre,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Putting the spare "back" in the front locker as it used to be years ago would involve sorting out the chassis geometry to lower the noseweight to an acceptable level
British manufacturers seem more concerned with appearance than practicality
Lots of postings on websites tell of problems getting noseweight down even with the spare wheel positioned underneath towards the rear and it would need a UK manufacturer brave enough to buck the UK norm
As it is UK manufacturers seem in the main to vie with one another to have similar spec sheets in the brochures often with little concern for quality of product or the caravanner who uses the van outside rather than in the showroom
My spare is now inside under the fixed bed with a useful rack for tools in the garage courtesy of Alko

DSC00034.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts