Spare Wheel Carriers

Jun 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi.

Firstly , Thanks to all the great folks on here. I followed advice I got a few onths ago and successfully re-laminated my floor ;)

Right, the mounting position for my spare wheel is in the front storage box. Bearing in mind the two gas cylinders and other spares, I'm concious of nose weight. I did think about putting the cyclinders etc into the caravan, but don't want them bouncing up and down on my newly repaired floor, so; Should I get a carrier for underneath my caravan? Or am I being over cautious and should leave the wheel where the manufacturers put it?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Don't reposition the gas bottles - the safest place for them is secured in the front locker.

The caravan manufacturer "should" have taken the spare wheel position into account when specifying the caravan for production.

How heavy is your noseweight when the caravan is loaded normally? It should be as heavy as possible for stability but without exceeding any of the limits of car, towbar, towball and caravan hitch.

If it exceeds any of those limits, consider moving the spare wheel either into the car boot or in an under chassis carrier.

Al-Ko sell a carrier for use with their chassis IF the holes are already pre-punched in the chassis members behind the wheels.

Universal wheel carriers are also available which clamp to the chassis as it can't be drilled - these may be cheaper than Al-Ko.

As an alternative you could consider lighter gas bottles - Calor 3.9/4.5kg bottles are smaller but the gas works out more expensive. Many caravanners with noseweight problems are changing to Calor Lite or BP Gaslite.

Jun 3, 2007
Visit site
Thanks.

I'll weigh it again, but I was about 20Kg too heavy.

As you say, the manufacturer should have taken this into consideration. I'll get rid of the junk I have in there also, but I wouldn't think that would add up to 20Kg

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
The Al-Ko spare carrier is a nice bit of kit, easy to fit in pre punched holes.

Only two drawbacks i can see with mine are,

1. how low to the floor it'll be when a tyre is flat , do i go under it supported on the jack? and

2. Checking the spare tyre prssure is a chore, Al-Ko should sell an extention valve tube so it can be checked from the side if the caravan.

There was a handy tip in PC to potect the pad lock with a christmas pudding tub! I've more info on this, if you want it!!

Gareth

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
On our Lexon we had the Alko underslung spare wheel carrier which as others have said is a good peace of kit. On our current van we got the Towsure equivelent, which is just as good and was considerably cheaper and just as easy to install.

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
The Al-Ko spare carrier is a nice bit of kit, easy to fit in pre punched holes.

Only two drawbacks i can see with mine are,

1. how low to the floor it'll be when a tyre is flat , do i go under it supported on the jack? and

2. Checking the spare tyre prssure is a chore, Al-Ko should sell an extention valve tube so it can be checked from the side if the caravan.

There was a handy tip in PC to potect the pad lock with a christmas pudding tub! I've more info on this, if you want it!!

Gareth
Gareth, Think for a second get the extra height back from the flat tyre by running it up your leveling ramps. You do crrary some dont you? J.Lo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts