Spare wheel holder in gas locker

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know of a spare wheel holder that will fit in a front gas locker?

My 2013 Lunar Clubman ES has very low nose weight (not a common problem!) so I thought I'd relocate the spare wheel from the troublesome Alko holder behind the axle but my Google searches haven't unearthed any holder I can bolt to the front bulkhead inside the gas locker.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know of a spare wheel holder that will fit in a front gas locker?

My 2013 Lunar Clubman ES has very low nose weight (not a common problem!) so I thought I'd relocate the spare wheel from the troublesome Alko holder behind the axle but my Google searches haven't unearthed any holder I can bolt to the front bulkhead inside the gas locker.
Mine in the Swift wasn’t so much a holder more a retained bolt coming forwards that a handwheel screwed on to. The hand wheel spanned the central section of the steel spare wheel just like a cars spare wheel restraint does. The at the bottom was a section of wood running transversely. That allowed the bottom edge of the spare to sit behind it. So try looking on car sites that offer things like space saver wheels etc.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mine in the Swift wasn’t so much a holder more a retained bolt coming forwards that a handwheel screwed on to. The hand wheel spanned the central section of the steel spare wheel just like a cars spare wheel restraint does. The at the bottom was a section of wood running transversely. That allowed the bottom edge of the spare to sit behind it. So try looking on car sites that offer things like space saver wheels etc.
On all the Lunars we had the spare tyre was held in place with straps similar to the gas bottle straps. Maybe something similar using the gas bottle holder vertically plus straps could be used to retain the spare wheel in place if it is in the front locker?

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our spare wheel was vertically in the front locker of our Xplore 302. It was quite a deep locker. We had one gas bottle and stopped the spare wheel rocking about using the tether from the second gas bottle recess. Also wedged it with the waste master.
Mel

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
A spare wheel weighs about 20-25 Kg and is very bouncy. A caravan bulkhead is a piece of body side wall made of polystyrene with a thin aluminium or grp skin. Screws will easily rip out of the skin. In the unlikely event of an accident, the spare wheel could become a lethal bouncy missile, so make sure the spare wheel retainer is strong enough for a rapid deceleration.
I once had a very near miss on the M6 when a spare wheel bounced towards and just past my car. I needed to stop and recover from the scare.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A spare wheel weighs about 20-25 Kg and is very bouncy. A caravan bulkhead is a piece of body side wall made of polystyrene with a thin aluminium or grp skin. Screws will easily rip out of the skin. In the unlikely event of an accident, the spare wheel could become a lethal bouncy missile, so make sure the spare wheel retainer is strong enough for a rapid deceleration.
I once had a very near miss on the M6 when a spare wheel bounced towards and just past my car. I needed to stop and recover from the scare.
That’s why in my post I said the restraint(s) should be used with a spreader plate behind. IE the other side of the bulkhead.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That’s why in my post I said the restraint(s) should be used with a spreader plate behind. IE the other side of the bulkhead.
Good advice however I doubt very much if any caravan manufacturer would consider that option. Are there spreader plates behind gas bottle fittings. In our lunar the spare wheel was in a corner so it would have needed to rip off the mounting and then exit through the front panel wall. If that happens I don't think you should have been travelling at that speed for it to happen? :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Good advice however I doubt very much if any caravan manufacturer would consider that option. Are there spreader plates behind gas bottle fittings. In our lunar the spare wheel was in a corner so it would have needed to rip off the mounting and then exit through the front panel wall. If that happens I don't think you should have been travelling at that speed for it to happen? :D
My Swift had a spreader plate for its front locker spare wheel mounting. But I am surprised that gas bottle straps are just screwed into the front bulkhead material.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice and suggestions - sounds like it's not that simple as the front bulkhead has a false panel to provide ducting for the Alde - the gas bottle holders would need moving to one side as well as fittings to secure the spare - so not as straightforward as I hoped.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Our Hymers stow their spare wheel vertically in the front locker, here it is fixed simply on a low profile "stool" that is through bolted to the front bulkhead. Secured to that by a big cone shaped hand nut to a stud welded to the stool.
The wheel's weight all resting on the checker plate locker floor, the stool only holding it back.
Those with a bit of DIY aptitude and the tools could easily replicate what this does.
Here I am thinking of a block of wood, coach bolted as our stool to the bulkhead, featuring a 12 mm stud sticking out.
Then a turned and bored wood conical keeper slipped onto that holding the wheel back, with a nut on the stud.
Note, the "stool's" standoff is much shallower, if as Hymer, the wheel's outside faces the bulkhead, simply because of the rims massive "offset", in reality only as "thick" as the tyre sidewall stands off the rim centre.

There is a downside, you can't either check let alone inflate the tyre in situ; but in real life our only lose a couple of psi year to year, when I remove it during my service.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the eighties when we last had an Al-ko underslung carrier, I soon twigged the need to "properly" service that, including using a rust inhibiting oil on the screw threads. Placed under the van it inevitably gets all the abuse the road can throw at it, though that's so easily countered by proper servicing practices addressing what it has to face. Ours never was any real problem, but I recall it helped very much once in France to have run the punctured wheel way up on our blocks, significantly increasing the access space to deploy the carrier and with it the use of the jack for the actual wheel change over. Then rerun up the blocks to far easier refit the carrier in place. Use what we carry like this can make life a lot easier, than struggling without doing so!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the idea of the spare in the front locker was dropped by most firms around 2,000. Our 1999 Eldiss had it there but caravans bought since then have not. I think that it was down to easier weight distribution but the real problem I see with returning to the locker apart from that is the locker base had recesses that the wheel dropped into and now you probably would need to find some way of trying to replace that.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice and suggestions - sounds like it's not that simple as the front bulkhead has a false panel to provide ducting for the Alde - the gas bottle holders would need moving to one side as well as fittings to secure the spare - so not as straightforward as I hoped.
On my Bailey In carried the spare inside the caravan when I removed the dreaded Alko carrier

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On my Bailey In carried the spare inside the caravan when I removed the dreaded Alko carrier
The only place inside our caravan would be under the nearside front settee - but then I'd have to relocate the satellite dish which travels there - neither the spare nor satellite dish would go into any other bed box on our layout.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The only place inside our caravan would be under the nearside front settee - but then I'd have to relocate the satellite dish which travels there - neither the spare nor satellite dish would go into any other bed box on our layout.
Could you not put the spare between the front lounge seats. That’s what I did. Adjusting its position relative to noseweight. Then on arrival it was placed under the caravan and chainlocked to the chassis. Even without the awning in position it could not be easily seen from outside. I had the Bailey from 2005 to 2014 and not once did that spare move position.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Could you not put the spare between the front lounge seats. That’s what I did. Adjusting its position relative to noseweight. Then on arrival it was placed under the caravan and chainlocked to the chassis. Even without the awning in position it could not be easily seen from outside. I had the Bailey from 2005 to 2014 and not once did that spare move position.
I'm getting too old to hump the tyre around regularly - for a while I did put in the car boot while touring but even that became arduous.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
In the past I've used the securing boss from the Alko carrier and self tapped it to the bulkhead.

It lived there for 5 years upto selling it.

Reactions: RogerL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts