Spare wheel woes

May 7, 2012
8,583
1,805
30,935
Visit site
Our Lunar also needs different nuts for the steel spare, so I would think they are a standard item and should be available from the supplier who sells the wheel. If not any caravan dealer should have them.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,626
2,940
40,935
Visit site
JT, glad you got it sorted, on our Coachman the spare is a steel, normal is Alloy. Coachman state we can use the same wheel bolts, even though, they will go deeper into the hub. :dry: must try it.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,546
6,342
50,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
JT, glad you got it sorted, on our Coachman the spare is a steel, normal is Alloy. Coachman state we can use the same wheel bolts, even though, they will go deeper into the hub. :dry: must try it.

Do your bolts have a different torque when used on the steel spare wheel?
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,626
2,940
40,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
JT, glad you got it sorted, on our Coachman the spare is a steel, normal is Alloy. Coachman state we can use the same wheel bolts, even though, they will go deeper into the hub. :dry: must try it.

Do your bolts have a different torque when used on the steel spare wheel?

Yes there is a difference, 65 ft lbs for steel and 96 ft lbs for alloy wheels. The bolts must be marked 10.9 for alloy wheels but can be used for steel wheels.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,546
6,342
50,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
JT, glad you got it sorted, on our Coachman the spare is a steel, normal is Alloy. Coachman state we can use the same wheel bolts, even though, they will go deeper into the hub. :dry: must try it.

Do your bolts have a different torque when used on the steel spare wheel?

Yes there is a difference, 65 ft lbs for steel and 96 ft lbs for alloy wheels. The bolts must be marked 10.9 for alloy wheels but can be used for steel wheels.

Same as mine.
 
Oct 17, 2010
1,239
479
19,435
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
JT, glad you got it sorted, on our Coachman the spare is a steel, normal is Alloy. Coachman state we can use the same wheel bolts, even though, they will go deeper into the hub. :dry: must try it.

Do your bolts have a different torque when used on the steel spare wheel?

Yes there is a difference, 65 ft lbs for steel and 96 ft lbs for alloy wheels. The bolts must be marked 10.9 for alloy wheels but can be used for steel wheels.

Same as mine.

Same here. Same as my motor, which has a steel spare,
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,546
6,342
50,935
Visit site
JayTea said:
110Nm for steel and 120Nm for alloy which equates in old money to 81 ft-lb for steel and 88.5 ft-lb for alloy

At some point after 2012 Swift announced an increase for alloy bolt torque to 130Nm and sent a sticker to go in the Owners Manual.
 
Nov 6, 2006
731
5
18,885
Visit site
Out of interest, since you now have both a steel and alloy spare, what's the difference in weight please? If there is a worthwhile saving I would change my steel to alloy too.
 
Oct 17, 2010
1,239
479
19,435
Visit site
otherclive said:
JayTea said:
110Nm for steel and 120Nm for alloy which equates in old money to 81 ft-lb for steel and 88.5 ft-lb for alloy

At some point after 2012 Swift announced an increase for alloy bolt torque to 130Nm and sent a sticker to go in the Owners Manual.
That's right, on plate by door, 88 nm steel 130 nm for alloy, (65 ft and 96 ft) using same bolts.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,546
6,342
50,935
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
otherclive said:
JayTea said:
110Nm for steel and 120Nm for alloy which equates in old money to 81 ft-lb for steel and 88.5 ft-lb for alloy

At some point after 2012 Swift announced an increase for alloy bolt torque to 130Nm and sent a sticker to go in the Owners Manual.
That's right, on plate by door, 88 nm steel 130 nm for alloy, (65 ft and 96 ft) using same bolts.

Its amazing how quickly stuff from Europe is delivered. I use Tyreleader a German company and the tyres will arrive within 36 hours. Fastest yet were two pattern headlights fir my wife’s Nissan. Ordered at 1300 U.K. time, at Heathrow that evening, Swindon early hours of the morning. Delivered to me mid morning. Less than 24 hours. After 29 March such service will be a dream :-(
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts