Spare wheel

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi all and a Merry Christmas.

I have a tow vehicle with a space saver spare wheel.

If I was to get a flat, would the spare get me any distance whilst towing?

Or should I get a "normal" spare at great cost. Why are they called "space savers"? Almost as big as any other wheel!!

Happy caravanning, have a great New Year.

Simon V

G

yes it should get you there as long as you reduce your speed accordingly, It happened to me while I was away one weekend and I phoned the Rescue for advice and was told it is ok but I had to drive at least 10mph below the recommended speed

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The space saver wheel has the same load carrying capacity as the original but because it is much narrower, vehicle handling will suffer. Therefore, great care needs to be taken, especially when the space saver wheel is fitted to a car which is towing. Speed should be reduced accordingly, certainly no more than 50mph.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was going to ask exactly the same question. I'm driving around with one on the vehicle now. I know you're not supposed to go over 50mph - Lutz how many miles (approx) can you travel with it?

Lisa

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
lisa,i cant remember the exact law,but 24 or 48 hrs is i believe what you can use a spacesaver for.theyre really only meant as a get you home measure.its actually illegal to have two different sized tyres on the same axle.maybe someone else knows the law fully?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The spacesaver wheel is made to fit in a slightly shallower receptacle, like under the car without compromising the underside clearance.

They are only meant to be used to get you to the NEAREST tyre place to have the damaged tyre replaced, or mended. They are NOT intended for prolonged towing BEFORE getting the tyre changed.

If ytou have a Renault Grand espace, beware, the tyre fitted to my 2001 vehicle is NOT available for at least a month from ordering, it is NOT stocked by any major tyre depot.

because of this, I have demanded a full size steel wheel, and got it free from Renault, and had a full size tyre fitted, to save the problems of being stuck without a spare at any time,and its much safer if a puncture happens when I have the van on the back.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks chaps, I guess it's a visit to the tyre people tomorrow then, got to get one for the offside front too.

Lisa.

TRENDING THREADS