Speed Cameras and Caravans

Jun 15, 2006
Visit site
On a recent trip to Cornwall I got flashed by a speed camera. I was doing just under 60 on the A30 single lane(it was 2.30 in the morning nothing about).

I asked a policeman and he told me that the cameras are sensitive to larger vehicles such as lorries and caravans.

I didnt receive a fixed penalty notice so I got away with it. Or was the policeman telling porkies ??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
sid, Cameras can be set to differentiate between HGV's and normal cars but I don't believe they can between vans , caravans and cars etc. With HGV's I think it is done with sensors in the road which sense the 'bulk'.

There was of course the driver from up north, Huddersfield I believe, who was accused of towing his van at 50+ in a 30 limit. It transpired that the camera added the speed of the car and the caravan. The Police said it was very strange but this didn't stop them sending out the *** even though the road markings proved actual speed was in the 20's.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As ray has said, some cameras can be set to sense the difference between vehicles, and you were probably flashed as you were exceeding the speed limit for your combination, but maybe have go away with it when the pic was viewed, and the time of day takeninto consideration.

If that is the case, then whoever viewed the pic saved you a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian, I don't know the reason why no prosecution took place but there is no discretion used in Camera Partnership offices. If it flashes and you are photographed and the secondary evidence backs it up a fixed penalty notice will be on its way - its about money after all.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Live Gatso flash twice! dummy Gatso only flash once! Mind you the second flashh is only split s econd later.

If something tripped the Gatso and you were not over the limit the road making calcu lation will show that, so no bother.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I live in cheshire which has few camera's but in tameside where a number of my inlaws live camera's are pro;ific, they are not gatso type camera's they look more like the truvelo ones that take forward facing photo's but they flash twice with a white flash where forward facing have to be infrared to avoid blinding the driver. the thing is these camera's flash at almost any vehicle travelling in either direction even if you are only over by about 2 mph, one of the camera's is very near a relative and can be seen from the living room, i personally have been flashed many times even when my speedo says i am in the limit and we have seen hundreds of others also flashed but i and many others i know have never received a ticket. we have asked the local council to explain but as usuall with the public office no answers have ever been received, another anomaly is that non of the camera's have any road markings. very strange. Have you read about the new four head gatso ? it was in auto express and contains two digital video camera's one digital still camera and normal plus infra red flashes, the evidence is downloaded via a telephone link and they detect speed and red light jumpers all in one unit.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
The next thing will be cameras filming the approach to the traffic lights to check if both your brake lights are working, it's getting beyond a joke.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts