Speed Guidelines

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
After the recent comments regarding the increase in accidents since the cameras were turned off last year in Oxfordshire and same cameras now being turned back on,I see now that the new guidelines agreed by the Association of Chief Police Officers is to allow 10% above the speed limit plus 9 mph.You will only receive points on your licence if you refuse to pay to go on a speed awareness course.It seems as long as you are you're prepared to pay speed isnt all bad

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
That would mean doing 42mph in a 30 mph zone before being prosecuted! doesn't make sense as a way to bring accidents down.
I also noted that Oxfordshire police said incidents were way up, when comparing this winter to last winter! Nice one Oxfordshire police, no doubt the coldest winter with the most snow and ice on record, didn't play a part in it!

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I remember being told by a police oficer many years ago that the Force he was with used 10% plus 3 which meant 36 in a 30 zone and as you say this has been upped to 42.37 out of 44 forces have signed up to this.The important thing is that revenue is still being raised while banned drivers amount to quite alot of lost revenue over a year.

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
This week your daily papers articles said that you would be able to take training lessons instead of being fined if you were below
42mph in a 30mph limit
53mph in a 40mph limit
64mph in a 50mph limit
75mph in a 60mph limit
86mph in a 70mph limit
From an outsiders point of view, it seems a strange guide line. UK drivers show more respect for other drivers than most on Aussie roads and better discipline. We thought the UK highway limit must be 85 to 90mph for the first few weeks we were here
smiley-embarassed.gif
as that is the speed cars travel at.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Strange that we're always being lectured about speeding and the results of speeding ,yet a spokesman for the ACPO after this announcement said : "Over recent years, the number of people killed and seriously injured on our roads has fallen significantly, reducing both the toll of personal tragedy and the cost to the public purse ".

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I got done for doing 36mph while doing the caravan. My fault as on leaving the round about, I accelerated to bring the unit up to speed and inadvertedly exceeded the limit. Also not a very built up area, but should have been watching the speedo instead of the road!

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Funny how the number of accidents related to speed have made oxfordshire council turn back on all their speed cameras just after they had to cut 20% from their annual budget, especialy when the revenue from speeding motorists is not taken into account towards the said new budget limits,
I for one smell a Rat

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
as usual the papers have blown it all up. the proposal was that on motorways ONLY, motorists would have the option of attending a speed awareness course if caught speeding up to a maximum of 86mph.

All police forces have the legal right to issue penalties for anyone exceeding the legal speed limit, be it 31mph in a 30 or 71mph on motorway. The officer on the ground can issue a caution if they want.
If you think you can drive at 46 in 30 zone you will be fined and receive points.
Some forces already offer the speed awarness course in stead of points on your licence for failry minor breaches of the speed limit, if doing 36 in a 30 zone can be classed as minor, i suppose it is to the driver but not to the pooor sod trying to cross the road.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Surely the whole point of speed awareness courses should be to convince 'speeders' not to do it - my wife opted to go on one rather than take the alternative - she was doing 33 in a 30 limit (basically had failed to get her speed down quickly enough) - she really didn't need educating, however the ones that do need educating are those doing 40 or 50 in a 30 limit but they don't get to go on the course - they just get points and a fine (no re-education) !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts