Speed on sites

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
SheffSean said:
If you go back and read my original post Phil, you can clearly read I state not confined to 4x4 drivers and older people, your right I don't own a 4x4, and it's a little presumptuous of you to assume I'm an anti 4x4 person don't you think, as I'm NOT.

Sean.
ummm sorry not my post but would like to add i see no difference between what phil wrote and you wrote to me "or do you drive at stupid speeds on site" i think you need to calm down Sean ,trust me i know. never the less you have brought up a good topic . I also doubt you will come across anyone on here who drives at stupid speeds nor doesnt keep an eye out for the young uns...

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
I think this thread demonstrates what's wrong with modern life nobody cares anymore , you see it every day out on the road, the majority of drivers seem to think the rules don't apply to them, not the highway code, speed limits, or anything else, it is not confined either to solo motorists, you see it with trailers and caravans, flying down the motorway at 70+ with the trailer swaying about like a demented terriers tail with a elephant bone, or overtaking on the outside lane just to get passed the two lines of HGV's they don,t want to sit behind for the next 5 miles,
so why would you think they will observe the rules on site, they won't, modern life is about looking after number one if there is a problem blame someone else, it runs through the whole of society camp sites are no different now.
in days gone past sites were simpler, may be two fields joined by a narrow dirt track full of pot holes and boulders with nicely placed rocks either side to prevent cars running on the grass, no speeding then. but now it's all flat and manicured with nice roads on site to speed along,
modern life also seems to be about protecting the kids, nothing else matters, except sometimes they need protecting from themselves, it is all to easy to say well their on holiday and their only playing, well it may have escaped some to learn that everyone on site is on holiday and the rules should apply to all even them.
it is the world we live in now you just have to accept it.
as Dave Gorman puts it Modern life is Good-"ish" or Bad-"ish" depending on wether your in the minority that does abide by the rules.

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
There's only one solution imo. Take off the velvet glove and bare the iron fist. Two cautions from the Warden's and then you are banned from Club sites for one year :evil:

Call that the Iron first? I've only once witnessed speeding on site (guy zooming 100 yards past the playground in a merc to go to the toilet block, then zooming back again 2 mins later), in Breen. TBH in my view he, and all the people in the group, should have been made to hitch up and leave then and there.

As it was, the wardens went and "had a word".

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Speeding on sites is an emotive issue which will never be resolved through internet forum discussion or point scoring.
We can all play our part by setting good examples with our own on-site behaviour.
If you see a campsite speeder and don't feel able to say anything or to make a 'slow down' gesture the best thing would be to voice your concerns to the site owner or warden.
Site wardens can only act upon an issue that they are aware of.
Our usual British reserve normally leads to a bit of a silent glare but nothing more, so be pro-active and make speeding on holiday sites socially unacceptable.

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
There was a queue of people waiting to report the idiot I witnessed! I don't want to warden bash because I can imagine how thankless it is (even more so than moderating an internet forum), but they need to be less scared of booting people indulging in severely antisocial or dangerous behaviour off site. I'm not saying throw off everyone who creeps above crawling pace, but in extreme examples it should be done. Until that happens, these people will keep behaving as they do, because they can.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
This will be my last reply to this thread, I just wanted to clarify a few things, I'm a very mild tempered person although speed on sites does make me annoyed, I'm not against 4x4's or older people who drive them, with regard to "stupid speeds" on site, I'm referring to speeds an athlete would struggle to keep up with, perhaps I should have made myself clearer on this, I suppose me being 50 may have caused this oversight, I hope you this clears up any confusion to any comments I've made.

Sean.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
At center parks you are allowed to take your car to your holiday lodge to unload on arrival and departure only, at all other times there is no access for cars into the accommodation areas; you have to leave it in the main car park. There are exceptions for disabled guests. Perhaps this should be the rule on caravan sites. Unhitch, unload and then the car left in a car park. I can see the benefits
Mel

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....there will always be this problem as driving slowly (walking speed) is a skill that most drivers simply do not have.
Most driving is done by looking ahead through the windscreen and this gives a poor perception of actual speed.
Drivers think they are driving slowly but maybe doing 15-20mph.
Glancing sideways gives a much better appreciation of speed relative to surroundings and makes driving at actual walking pace more likely.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps a solution could be to remove all the 5MPH or 10MPH signs and replace them with 1st GEAR ONLY! How many times do you witness vehicles (including motorhomes) changing up to drive around sites? Now I'm not polishing my halo, but I've never had a problem keeping the speed right down. Most diesel tow vehicles will plod along without any pressure on the accelerator, and at a low speed. 1st gear would generally prevent great speed increases (and/or use of brakes) going downhill too.

Just a thought. :whistle:

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Good idea Nigel.

What does work is a system prevalent in Australia.
Campsites have signs saying " Strictly Walking Pace Only"
Drivers failing to take note are asked to leave the site by the owner / warden, and this outcome is made very clear to all campsite users.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I heartily agree!
During a recent stay at a Club site on the NE coast, it was the wardens who were doing the speeding - especially on their tractors.
To be fair, this was an unusual experience - they usually adhere to the rules on other Club sites we use.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Don't need to go to Australia to see it, -- these signs have been used on CC centres rally fields for years!

.......I wasn't referring to the signs as such more to the fact that they mean what they say in Australia and you will be asked to leave the site if you fail to do as instructed.
I too am a member of the CC and have seen the signs on club sites and rally fields..........I have seen drivers ignoring them.
I have never seen anyone be reprimanded.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts