Speeding on Carvan sites

BG

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
This possibly falls into the its so obvious but debate - why do people have to speed around sites with or without the van in tow racing to reach pitches in the dark as witnessed this weekend ( Site shall remain nameless) at speeds well in excess of being able to stop if a child or dog or indeed an adult stepped out in front of them.

There has already been a fatality on a CC site another one will happen if this behaviour by the minority continues

Question is how can it be stopped before it is too late ?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's the same old story - selfish people with not a care about anybody elses safety.

I had the misfortune to get caught up in the afternoon school run last week and to be honest, I couldn't believe what I was witnessing, talk about dangerous driving, women exceeding the 30mph limit, some on mobiles too. Parking - what a joke. I even saw a woman overshoot a right turn and then attempt to reverse back to take the turn again - no chance, She decided to drive forward up the kerb and on the path, reverse in a fashion (nearly knocked a cyclist off his bike).

Having seen the back end of an rtc fatality a few weeks ago, some people are just plain dangerous on the roads.

In relation to your question, how can it be stopped, maybe more road humps on site could help, I honestly think there are some die hards who will never respect safety.

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
There's been another thread on these lines recently.

It's about time that speed limits were more strictly imposed - especially for site staff! In our experience, they're often the worst culprits along with delivery drivers and construction staff where present.

If we all complained about speeding to reception, maybe the warden would have a quiet word with the offenders? Probably wouldn't take any notice though:(

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All the years we been on C.C Site, it abit of both C.C. member and non member speeding, They have'n got the time to slow down, because everybody is in a rush, You would think after what happen last year at York C.C Site a lesson would be learn but NO!!! it the same round here where we lived, people again in a rush, Sad world!1 but that the way it going!! Trevor

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Stalag 13 style towers at the corners of camp sites with snipers is probabaly the only way you will ever stop the idiots.

And that's never going to happen.

I beleive there are now more phones per head in the UK, somebody should have thought about driving and using a phone when they started to become popular.

They've missed the boat now.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps the CC needs to instruct wardens to take a hard line against offenders. Anyone caught speeding (or driving dangerously) on a CC site should be banned and kicked out of the club. Does it need the wardens to become traffic police and use radar guns? I don't think so, if someones driving looks dangerous, then it probably is. If a quiet word does not help, then lets take a hard stance against them and make the sites a safer place for all.

David

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi there

Your all right every body has to be first.I think it comes from the work plus every one now has to prove them selfs. More pressure put on by bosses the conpetitive working place.Perform or your out. Allan Suger type bosses.You see them on there way to work in the morning in there cars got to be first cut every one up. On the way home there they are right up on your back bumber trying to get into your boot. A very very sad place we now live in.

Even when you go on holiday there he is coathanger man in BMW with caravan swaying from side to side as he passes you at at the speed of sound. Never a policeman around is there?

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i have to agree with BG on this. i have just returned from hunters moon, dorset site in the half term and i witnessed lots of people doing well over the 5mph. this really annoyed me as it was also people with children that did it. they would be the first to complain if there child was ran over. there was one particular bloke constantley speeding on the site and he didnt care. i also witness a bloke towing he went round and round the site rush rush rushing because time was getting on.

maybe i should give a cl a try they are far safer.

wardens should put a blackboard outside by entrance putting reg nos and telling them to slow down. how embarrasing would that be.

jo-anne

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid that the world of couldn't give a **** is spreading to every area of our lives.

Certainly the clubs should have a system of penalty or exclusion for those who persistantly flout the rules.

It is far more difficult to adopt systems in the private site sector as they are independant operators.

However it is as usual the 2% who spoil it for the rest, as the majority of us have a very safety concious attitude.

Perhaps a photo board in the washrooms and informatio room would shame offenders into modifying their behaviour.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Fully agree about speeders. Wardens and Holiday Site managers however are not always supported by HQ when they ban a member. I know of a case where a member was two weeks behind in site fees, warden asked him to leave and subsequently was reprimanded by his area manager. Come on club director generals let's have zero tolerance.

On a more frivolous note why do we have to have signs telling children not to skate board round the toilet block?, keep your dog on a lead? Isn't obvious? I suspect such signs have no effect. banning from sites would and suspension of membership might also invalidate insurance etc.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
Here's a solution - put speed cameras up on site roads and anyone who exceeds the speed limit more than once gets removed from the site. Persistent offenders could also have their membership of the CC or C&CC cancelled!

I'd be in favour - how about you? Although I have to say it's a ridiculous situation if people can't be considerate enough of their fellow human beings without resorting to measures like this...

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Andy, I agree 100% with what you say.

However it is a sad fact of life these days that good old fashioned courtesy and respect for others has gone.

I work in the construction industry and believe me you can't even leave your spirit level duly marked with your name in two places in permanent marker, for one day in another van without some berk trying to write his name on it and claim it to be his.

If that sort of low level lack of respect goes on daily, what hope have we got ofgetting the supposed intelegent middle classes to demonstrate respect.

You try a cheery wave at a copper and see what happens!

Does the AA or RAC patrol man salute anymore.

Try holding the door open for anyone. They think your gona mug them!!

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I was at the Northern Region Forum of the CC on Saturday where this very topic was discussed.

Wardens on CC site have been authories to 1. warn any offending driver who is seen by them and judged to be speeding 2. remove them from the site on the second offence at which point their membership will be suspended/reviewed/cancelled by head office. It was stressed that the wardens cannot be everywhere and there was a responsibility of consciencous members to report the number plate of any speeding motorist to the warden. Alternatives that were not favoured were speed bumps/obstacles because of inconvenience of grounding etc., although some site already have them.

In the case of the death last year, we were assured that speed was not an issue in this case, but speeding is generally a great and increasing concern of the club management.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
i have to agree with BG on this. i have just returned from hunters moon, dorset site in the half term and i witnessed lots of people doing well over the 5mph. this really annoyed me as it was also people with children that did it. they would be the first to complain if there child was ran over. there was one particular bloke constantley speeding on the site and he didnt care. i also witness a bloke towing he went round and round the site rush rush rushing because time was getting on.

wardens should put a blackboard outside by entrance putting reg nos and telling them to slow down. how embarrasing would that be.

jo-anne
ye jo decided to go to cls in future 5 cars and 1 is ours 2 small kids and nigel mansells dont mix (idiots)i only go to commercials out of holiday season when its quiet

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site

jo-anne
ye jo decided to go to cls in future 5 cars and 1 is ours 2 small kids and nigel mansells dont mix (idiots)i only go to commercials out of holiday season when its quiet

TRENDING THREADS