Stabilisers

Apr 10, 2007
Visit site
I had a crash on the M56 at the weekend on the way to Anglessey just before Chester Services and no other car was involved, it was just a case of either a flat tyre or overtaking a hgv which caused a bad snake which I couldn't control. I was only doing 30-40 mph so we were not seriously injured. My caravan is fitted with an Alko and whilst being towed home the recovery driver said that a Bulldog stabiser should also be fitted as you cant go over the top on safety. Does anybody else do this ? I always thought just the Alko was safe enough along with the break away cable.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Don't fit two frictional stabilisers. That would increase the stiffness between car and caravan to an extent beyond what the towbar and its attachment points on the car underbody were ever designed for. The only type of stabiliser that you can safely combine with a frictional stabiliser such as the AlKo is an electronic stabiliser, either in the form of ESP+ on the car or an electronic stabiliser fitted to the caravan such as AlKo's ATC or the LEAS system.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident, and I hope everything is repaired to your satisfaction.

But fitting two stabilisers? That's got to be the worst advice I've heard - obviously the recovery driver doesn't know or understand how they work.

Basically both types of stabilisers use brake pads to apply a resistive force to the coupling between the car and the caravan. Any twisting is resisted by the friction pads, but needs to "slip" so you can turn a corner - so both types of stabiliser are carefully calibrated to "slip" at exactly the right point. Adding a second stabiliser will stiffen up the coupling so that turning corners becomes an issue.

Don't do it - and carefully check the tyres before you start each journey.

Robert

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
rubbish rubbish rubbish

it's a matter of choice I allways tow with the scott attached when towing as the alko hitch is cr*p

when I bought my van it came with the alko fitted the dealer said it was the only stabilizer required and was far safer than the old ones RUBBISH

while towing it home down the M62 it snaked all over the place and followed hgv's wind vortexes every time I went passed one.

first job when I got home was to fit the scott

15000 miles of towing later no problems at all

and as for straining the tow bar well the proof of the pudding is in the eating so to speak

my advice it use the bulldog if thats your choice when you get the van back. after all with belt and braces ur trousers won't fall down

if you are a bit worried about the extra strain as rob jax suggests dont do up the alko so tight or put grease on the ball so it don't grip so much but this will bu**er up the friction shoes which will have to be changed if you sell the van

I personally am not worried about it as the bar on my car is 3/8in steel box section and is held on by 10x 12mm high tensile bolts.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
One would be well advised not to follow Colin's practice. Car manufacturers will not accept any responsibility for possible damage caused by the additional stresses due to fitment of two frictional stabilisers. In other words, warranty coverage is affected.

That is not just a theoretical possibility was borne out by a report by an owner who noted a crack in the underbody sheet metal close to where the towbar was attached and the manufacturer refused to pay for the repair after finding out that two stabilisers had been fitted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would agree with everyone so far !!!

Colin I used the Alko hitch and the Straightliner Stabiliser for several thousand miles and to good effect with no damage.

This topic came up nad so I Emailed Alko and they said that it was putting too much strain on the towball etc using both so having asked I had to take the advice given.

As Lutz has said some cars have been damaged etc and in these litigeous times you have to follow the letter of the law.

Sometimes the construction of a car may appear to make it OK but if that impression turns out to be wrong then the owner will be the one to carry the can if any damage/accident is caused.

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Shouldn't the stabiliser be just a backup device?, the outfit should be stable with normal driving with no stabiliser fitted, the job of the stabiliser should be to protect you in abnormal or emergency situations, if you are relying on the stabiliser when driving normally, what do you rely on in an emergency?.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Shouldn't the stabiliser be just a backup device?, the outfit should be stable with normal driving with no stabiliser fitted, the job of the stabiliser should be to protect you in abnormal or emergency situations, if you are relying on the stabiliser when driving normally, what do you rely on in an emergency?.
I will bow to superior engineering knowlege on this

if your worried about the extra stress ditch the alko, personally i,m not so I will carry on doing it my way because it works for me

as far as I understand it fitting a stablizer is not a legal requirement for towing but only a fool would tow without one

watch the vans being towed as you go about your business pick out the ones waving about or pitching up and down and look at which type of stablizer is fitted (if any) and I will bet not one of them will have the older type fitted

like I said earlier for me alko hiches dont work exept for the fact that they lock the ball to the A frame they dont assist the rear suspension, that may not be a problem on a 4x4

but it is with soft rear sprung car like mine

Apr 10, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice but I think I'm going to stick to just the Alko once I get back on the road again. Incidentally the Citroen was wrote off on Friday so I'm now looking for a car to to tow our Lunar Zenith 4 berth which weighs 850kg. I have posted in the towcar forum but had no response yet as to what is the most suitable towcar.Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts