Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
hi, anyone out there who would recommend a stabiliser, do i really need one nowadays, as last time i pulled a caravan was 1990and was a bit dodgy....... just buying a bailey ranger 500/5 and would appreciate any advice, thanks

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Check with the seller , if the caravan is new or nearly new it will probably have an Alko Hitch stabiliser already fitted. If so you will have to ensure that your tow ball is grease free and paint free before hitching the van, as oil, grease or paint will contaminate the friction pads in the stabiliser. it is very east to degrease the ball, likewise removing the paint from a tow ball is not to difficult, you just have to avoid scratching the ball.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure if Bailey's fitted ALKO stabilisers to the Ranger, however if it has got one on it then this is the information from ALKO regarding the type of towball to be used

"As you will be aware, AL-KO supplies (as standard), an extended neck bolt-on towball with every boxed AKS Stabiliser Kit. This towball MUST replace any existing bolt-on type ball to allow for the correct stabiliser clearances during operation. The following diagrams show the importance of using this towball and shows the clearances required to ensure correct operation. Failure to use this towball may result in product damage and WILL invalidate any stabiliser warranty.

When caravans are supplied direct from the Manufacturer, with an AKS stabiliser fitted as standard, it is essential to ensure that the customer is using the correct towball. If a swan-neck type of towbar is fitted, then providing the correct clearances can be achieved, the AKS can be used with this type of configuration. If the customer has a bolt-on type towball, they must be informed of the need to replace their existing towball, with the special AL-KO extended neck ball (Type A50-X). It is also important to inform the customer that any surface coating on the ball (ie. plating or paint), MUST be removed using emery paper (100-200 grade), otherwise contamination of the friction pads will occur."

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My Bailey Ranger 500/5 came supplied new last June with an Alko stabiliser. We did have the Alko tow ball fitted mainly because it give greater clearance for the spare wheel on the back of the 4x4 thereby making it easier to couple up/uncouple without the spare wheel getting in the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts