Stability and Traction control systems

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Foresters adjusted themselves so no idea what the final configuration was, but never had any shakey moments. But otherwise I would do like you and leave it on.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I believe that on my Volvo with the Volvo tow bar/electrics that it knows when you are towing and hence overrides/controls the systems as necessary.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On or off when towing?
I leave mine on but have read others turn it off.
ESP - On, regardless - some cars detect that they're towing and use different settings for ESP - but even those that don't are more stable with ESP while towing than without.

Traction Control - On, in most conditions

Delphi did trailer tests in the US which showed a relationship between noseweight and towing speed and concluded the reason Europeans get away with 4-7% noseweight is that speeds are limited here to 62 mph (60 mph in UK) with trailers generally under 100% while in USA towing is often done at 80 mph with much heavier trailers needing 10-15% noseweight (or tongue-weight as they call it).

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As alway's it's up to the driver to ensure they are using the vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and any legislation that applies in the area. As such if the manufactures instructions will tell you what you should do, and in the absence of any specific instructions to the contrary assume it means leaving systems turned on.

Read the manual.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As alway's it's up to the driver to ensure they are using the vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and any legislation that applies in the area. As such if the manufactures instructions will tell you what you should do, and in the absence of any specific instructions to the contrary assume it means leaving systems turned on.

Read the manual.
Agreed but my manual does not mention my question hence the enquiry. Is it a MCAS?? As devised by Boeing 🤪🤪

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agreed but my manual does not mention my question hence the enquiry. Is it a MCAS?? As devised by Boeing 🤪🤪
If a manual does not mention it, then it most likely means leave well alone, but if you are really concerned on a matter like this then it makes more sense contacting the dealer or manufacture because their could be model specific reasons for or against. The only answer from a forum that might have value is if someone else has the same make and model, and has asked the manufacture and received instructions from them.

Reactions: Raywood

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts