May 30, 2024
Visit site
There are a few threads about TV reception, satellite TV setups and so on. But has anyone taken the jump to purchase something like Starlink for 'high speed internet on the go'? I'm in a flexible retirement mode, so still Zoom call commitments etc, but with lovely long gaps inbetween. On occasion I've been almost in a kind-of internet cafe panic, trying to find somewhere with decent wifi or phone signal. And a bit of privacy, which I can achieve in the caravan, but not if I don't have wifi or 4G. And then for entertainment, our go-to at home is more often Netflix than Freeview. Not exactly twitchy if I don't have wifi, but still...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Starlink seems to be mighty expensive, and unless you are running an internet based business or doing a lot gaming I suspect it would be hard to justify switching to starlink on price alone.

Aug 12, 2024
Visit site
We actually made the jump to Starlink at the start of this year. Have to say very impressed with it having used it in the caravan a few times now. It can be expensive - particularly at the outset - however the service is worth it

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I'm paying around £54 a month for EE FTTP, as we live in a new build, and it's really good.

If we had enough room on the drive way to store our caravan then I would most certainly pay for Starlink, as we can then use it at home and at sites, two birds with one stone as the saying goes.

But at present, we just use the Maxview 4G touring and I plug in my unlimited Data sim card into the router, and all my family work off that, not lightning speeds but ample to get by

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm paying around £54 a month for EE FTTP, as we live in a new build, and it's really good.

If we had enough room on the drive way to store our caravan then I would most certainly pay for Starlink, as we can then use it at home and at sites, two birds with one stone as the saying goes.

But at present, we just use the Maxview 4G touring and I plug in my unlimited Data sim card into the router, and all my family work off that, not lightning speeds but ample to get by
We changed over to FTTP when our EE contract for broadband ended in March this year . We are now with Virgin Media at £36pm for broadband and “landline” via the cable too. 270mb normal download speed, adequate for us two plus visitors. Satellite dish sits idly pointing skywards and Freesat recorder redundant until I leave Virgin in Autumn 2025 as we expect a major price hike.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
We changed over to FTTP when our EE contract for broadband ended in March this year . We are now with Virgin Media at £36pm for broadband and “landline” via the cable too. 270mb normal download speed, adequate for us two plus visitors. Satellite dish sits idly pointing skywards and Freesat recorder redundant until I leave Virgin in Autumn 2025 as we expect a major price hike.
That's one thing we got rid of was our landline, we have absolutely no need for it anymore, we found people only called us on our mobiles, so no point in having it anymore.

Saves a few bob on the monthly bill (£5 I think it was)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's one thing we got rid of was our landline, we have absolutely no need for it anymore, we found people only called us on our mobiles, so no point in having it anymore.

We find sometimes our mobiles may be on quiet or in another room so the two landline receivers are always avaiable and the family and friends are the main ones who ring us via those. The kids and grandson are like you, no landline number.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I dumped my landline a couple of months ago when my BT contract came to an end and switched to Plusnet at £24.99 per month for 74Mbps.

For phones, 1pmobile at £4 per month each for unlimited calls and texts. Only buy data boost when needed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Wish we could dump our land line, but unfortunately mobile signal is bad where we live. I do have a backup for the router, but for now land line.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
When we moved here in 2019 we never bothered with a landline or FTTP. We just took the 4g router from the boat and used that. A couple of router and a SIM upgrade later we now get 270mbps download and 20mbps upload for £7 a month until November 2025.
I will look at what's around when it runs out in 2025.
Did try to get FTTP got the conduit in waited a month or two but no fibre was forthcoming. As that was the month 5g arrived here I gave up and cancelled FTTP saving myself a lot of cash😲

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Wish we could dump our land line, but unfortunately mobile signal is bad where we live. I do have a backup for the router, but for now land line.
Can you not set your mobile phones for wifi calling, via the router, which will avoid the need for a landline - especially as landlines are being phased out anyway.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Can you not set your mobile phones for wifi calling, via the router, which will avoid the need for a landline - especially as landlines are being phased out anyway.
We do use wifi for calling, but our concern was a long power cut which happens in rural areas. We are lucky to get 3G occasionally so has to be wifi. Our current contract finishes next year and at that point will probably dump the phone.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site

I don't believe it! You got it working!

Jun 5, 2024
Visit site
We purchased a Starlink unit back in May when it was on offer for £150.00 direct from Starlink as my wife and I were fed up with poor internet and tv coverage on a lot of sites that we've visited.

It's been absolutely brilliant and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Firstly we opted for the "roam" service that costs £85.00 for a full month. However, you are not tied to any contract and you can start and stop at any time you please. Also, if you start your service part way through your billing cycle, you only pay pro rata in that month until the start of your next billing period.

I'm currently sat in my caravan on a site in Norfolk with almost no normal phone service, a very poor tv reception, but I've just done a speed test and I'm receiving 193mbps download. Netflix, Prime, Smart TV and of course the internet along with wifi calling all works perfectly.

I understand that people don't come on holiday to watch tv, but after a long day out it's nice to sit and watch a film with a bottle of wine. And I'm sure that anyone who has children will really appreciate it.

My next job is to buy the pole and mount it to my jockey wheel. It's currently sat on the roof of my caravan, yet despite some fairly strong wind this week it thankfully hasn't moved.

Aug 12, 2024
Visit site
We purchased a Starlink unit back in May when it was on offer for £150.00 direct from Starlink as my wife and I were fed up with poor internet and tv coverage on a lot of sites that we've visited.

It's been absolutely brilliant and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Firstly we opted for the "roam" service that costs £85.00 for a full month. However, you are not tied to any contract and you can start and stop at any time you please. Also, if you start your service part way through your billing cycle, you only pay pro rata in that month until the start of your next billing period.

I'm currently sat in my caravan on a site in Norfolk with almost no normal phone service, a very poor tv reception, but I've just done a speed test and I'm receiving 193mbps download. Netflix, Prime, Smart TV and of course the internet along with wifi calling all works perfectly.

I understand that people don't come on holiday to watch tv, but after a long day out it's nice to sit and watch a film with a bottle of wine. And I'm sure that anyone who has children will really appreciate it.

My next job is to buy the pole and mount it to my jockey wheel. It's currently sat on the roof of my caravan, yet despite some fairly strong wind this week it thankfully hasn't moved.
Watto agreed the service is great and cost isnt actually that bad. We have had it for about 6 months and love it. But in the interest of balance its worth pointing out to others that clear view of the sky can have an impact on speeds. In a clear area with no obstructions then the speeds are perfect for streaming, internet and video / voice calls. With obstructions - for example in an area with a lot of trees - the speeds can be reduced. Whilst this probably wont be an issue for streaming it can greatly impact on the ability to use things like Facetime and VOIP services.

I bought a mount from ebay for ours to stick to the roof. Simply pop up through the rooflight and attach the dish

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts