Starter Problem

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I have had an intermitant fault on my starter motor on my van for a few years now, what happens is when I turn the ignition on ,all ignition lights come on, when turning the key further to fire the starter motor nothing happens,and ignition lights do not dim.This happened once in about 6 months on average, I came to the conclussion that I had a sticky solenoid on the starter motor, so I made a wire up to clip on the small live connection on the solenoid on the starter motor and touched the other end of this wire to a live on the battery, this caused a clunk noise on the starter motor and all was well and I could now start the engine normaly,I intended to get a new starter motor at some time, but as the problem only happened so infrequently I let things slip, Well now it has started to happen more often and needs fixing now, I was in the Asda Petrol Station at Southampton the other day and could not start the van and caused chaos at the pumps as it was very busy there.
So now I am waiting for the weather to improve so I can get under the van and remove the Starter Motor and get a replacement, not a job I am looking forward to as I hate working on vehicles, but needs must. My van is an Hymer 2.8 JTD on a Fiat .

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I took the Starter Motor off today, went to Mayday Motor Spares,Hampshire , to buy a new one and was told it was not in stock but they will get me one for tomorow morning, it is going to cost me £175 inc.vat.hey Ho, joys of motoring.at least I won't have to pay a Garage for fitting ,trouble is rain is forecast tomorrow so it looks like refit will be on hold.it has been a super sunny day here in Southampton today after the torrential rain the last few days.

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
well I got the new starter motor today and as it was sunny I decided to fit it, the refit went well ,but when I tried to start the van the starter just whirred and didn't fire, I rechecked all the connections etc but no joy, it still just whirred and nothing else.So I removed it and took to my local garage for advice and they confirmed what I thought that the solenoid was duff, so back I go to the Motor factors and tell them my tale of woe, sorry they say we can get you another one but not till tomorrow, Hey Ho another days wait and another refit, The Starter Motor I paid £175 for is a refurbished job apparently .not a new one ,thats what you get apparently.Watch this space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts