Status aerial

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Any one using the new status aerial with swivel etc. On the same site does it give a better reception than the old fixed status aerial?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian

The change will depend on where the original aerial fitted on the caravan. In my case it was above an overhead locker, so, to save an extra hole in the caravan roof, I fitted the 'locker' or short-mast model. It is near the locker wall so a bit fiddly, but the TV, (inc Digibox), is good. Just look where your present aerial is, check the cable does come vertically down into a locker/wardrobe/whatever, enlarge the hole, and away you go. Enjoy.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I changed the supplied Status S315 to the directional S530; choosing the longer tube version.

It was easy to do but things that could have been be awkward, this time worked to my advantage. The original hole was where it needed to be and the roof was reinforced there.

With the longer tube version your positioning is to an extent restricted. This is to ensure that it's lower tube "support bracket" has a suitable vertical surface, like the wardrobe side to fix to.

This is not the case with the shorter tube version. The shorter version needs a more rigid roof, in the locality of the aerial, as its only support is from the roof structure. I am not implying any great stiffness requirement but sufficient to give some rigidity and avoid it vibrating in the air stream with consequent failure of the sealant as this ages.

In both cases the roof has to resist the compressive pinch of the screwed fitting, but you can insert pieces of wood though the large hole to achieve this if needed.

My greatest problem was having enough courage to drill a large hole in the roof of what was a brand new van.

I was fortunate that the new location was almost where the original unit was fitted, about an inch centre difference. The old unit is simply to remove, leaving the centre hole, about 12mm, and the four self-tapping fixing screw holes. I used the Status plastic plate sold for blanking off when an aerial is removed. I was able to fit this where the aerial was and bore my new hole through that; I moved the plate half an inch from the original centre and bored though the other halt inch off its centre. I marked the location I needed using a supplied paper template or one I made-up to the given dimensions, INSIDE the van, drilling a 3mm pilot hole. I purchased the correct size tubular cutter from B&Q and after a strong black coffee bore from the top of the roof. I was very fortunate I had a clean hole through a wood insert that I assume was there to reinforce for the wardrobe wall securing. As said earlier if the roof is not strong enough to take the clamping, the hole you have is big enough to be able to insert wood staves and reinforce it like building a barrel from inside.

Then its lots of good quality non setting sealant and screw it all together, ensuring the fixing screws of the plate and aerial centre bossing are out of phase.

The other bits and pieces need not special fitting description.

I have to say it's very worthwhile, no comparison performance wise with the dreadful thing it replaced.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have one fitted to the new Senator and its a big improvement on the omni directioal type.

There is some confusion about the telescopic pull out aerials on the side.

I asked someone on a site about the performance before we got ours and he was adamant that the picture came through the TV aerial part and the sound came through the telescopic ones.

My local dealer was telling a customer that you needed to pull them out for radio reception.

In the instruction book it says that they may be needed abroad for some TV stations.

On the Senator they can be reached through the Remis roof light but it isn't that easy on every van !!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We have one of the new Status aerials on our new Bessacarr. We have'nt used it for TV, but for radio you definately need to pull the side aerials out. We were'nt all that impressed with the reception, it was better with a ring aerial. Maybe we were just in a bad area.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ho again Wendy,just tried it and it makes no difference on ours if the telescopics are extended or not.

In the Bailey book it says"VHF TV reception(overseas only)

Extend the 2 telescopic antennas.

Tune TV to desired station etc

For fine tuning you may need to adjust the length of the telescopics."

In the Status instructions it says "IMPORTANT -You DO NOT need to extend the telescopics for FM radio reception"(their capitals)

As I said before there is some confusion.

Its a pity that the aerial is not suitable for AM (long and medium reception as well)

Regards John

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Ho again Wendy,just tried it and it makes no difference on ours if the telescopics are extended or not.

In the Bailey book it says"VHF TV reception(overseas only)

Extend the 2 telescopic antennas.

Tune TV to desired station etc

For fine tuning you may need to adjust the length of the telescopics."

In the Status instructions it says "IMPORTANT -You DO NOT need to extend the telescopics for FM radio reception"(their capitals)

As I said before there is some confusion.

Its a pity that the aerial is not suitable for AM (long and medium reception as well)

Regards John
John, I think it was definately us, not the aerial, it works perfectly at home, antennae in or out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts