Status TV aerial is it worth upgrading -- for better reception?

Dec 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi, have the Status 315 (flying saucer) type fitted at present to caravan and interested in upgrading to Status 530/5. Is it worth the effort and expense to upgrade for better tv reception?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I endorse Damian's statement:

"Yes it is.

You will be amazed at the difference"

Its also not that much effort for a DIY job, easy in fact apart from summing up the courage to take a 45 dia mm cutter to your roof!

Nov 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi, Yes it's worth the upgrade, and all you caravanners with directional aerial, i have a new gadget that will be available in December, which is a TV signal finder, all you do is plug in your TV lead, move the directional aerial until as many of the yellow LED's light up, and bingo, you have the best signal for the area. I have been a caravanner for many years, and i have spent lots of frustrating time trying to tune in my TV, I work for an electronics company, so i have helped to develop this product. You can contact me direct if you want further information.

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian,

I looked at this a while ago as we also have the 315 on our caravan. Have to admit I was a coward and couldn't bring myself to have a larger hole cut in the roof!

I ended up with an admittedly not so elegant solution and bought myself a satellite system. It works a treat, easy to set up and you get far more channels than freeview.

yes there is more kit to carry around but I wouldn't be suprised if it cost less than the status aerial you are looking at.

Maybe something else to consider before you cut into your roof.

Hope this helps

Steve

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Why do manufacturers still bother to put the junk i.e. the Status on top of vans?

I've never heard a good word said about them.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
brianr

Doug the Fix it KING in Practical Caravan showed how to fit one of these taking out old Status and putting in the 530 type aeral.I wish i could tell you which issue it was but have no longer got it. There must be a way of finding out his old upgrades.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
The simpler and cheaper solution is to put a directional arial on a light mast. There are a number available. Some fit on the A Frame. We opted for putting ours near the rear of our van where it's out of site, mast clips to a bracket stuck on side of van. You can also clip them to awning rails. I think vision plus do the gear, check your dealers.

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After poor receptions this winter we are considering an upgrade to.

Question which Directional ariel is the best one to put outside the van on a post or as suggested by Rob. Can you get a digital signal on these to use a box if wanted

Thanks

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
brianr & Mike,

I have a Status 315 and was also dissapointed with performance on campsites. At home the caravan is parked between buildings and had no reception at all despite being passed through a booster. Today I bought an Image 530/18-2 kit (antenna, mast and external socket) today for 50 quid plus the .7m extension pole (6 quid). Connected this up (still via my booster) and got reasonable pictures on annalogue TV and excellent TV with digital, despite still being parked between the buildings. The improvement between the Status 315 and the external directional Image 530/18-2 antenna are fantastic. If you need a TV picture while you are away then I totaly agree with the above comments and while not cheap external antennas are worth the expense. No idea as to which is the best. I considered the Status through the roof antenna that can be raised (neat design but expensive) but after considering the effort of mounting it and the limited height gain offered I thought that a totally external antenna on a mast that can be extended if required to give significant height gain (required on some sites), I already had an external antenna cable socket and the fact that I can take it to the next caravan I buy if required that a truely external antenna was best for me.

Hope this helps

Richie

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Just to confirm that we have had no problem with digital signal since we switched to a directional arial. I ran a coaxial extension lead out of the tv compartment through the same hole that the status cable came in.... then ran down to floor and out through one of the holes that drainage went through. Fit appropriate fitting on the end and Cable clip to chassis. I then simply erect the arial and plug into this external fitting.

No Drilling or fixing.

Rob

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
For less money and hassle you can invest in a satellite system which makes it a lot easier to find the signal no matter where you are located in the UK. It is always towards the East.

An old digi box can be picked up off freecycle for nought and a Freesat card that allows you access to many Sky channels costs a one off

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
I am very much with Ian on this one!!

I have tried various aerials over many years. My latest caravan has a Status 530 which in good signal areas works well on digitalnever seems to work well on analogue.

To be absolutely "sure" of a good signal at all times I went for Satellite which is perfect all day every day (providing there are not buildings or trees to break line of sight of course".

First thing I do is check the compass bearing from the available pitches and put the kettle on!

IMHO do not waste money upgrading aerial just invest it in satellite which will also serve you well on the continent.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I know how to upgrade a Status aerial...... but if I told you how on this forum, one of the Moderators would delete my post.

So I will just say listen to Ian and Alan J !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts