May 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm a newbie. Bought a 2000 swift late last year. 1 of my steadies is broken. Not a hard job I thought but 1 of the bolts is turning within the van I didn't even put any weight unto it when I tried to loosen it. How can I hold the bolt to get the nut off. Any help please.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
At one time plain nuts were used, but more recently nyloc nuts are used, which makes life more difficult. You have encountered a common problem. Dependent on where the defective unit is, you might lift the floor covering in that area to access the bolt heads, but if they are under the shower, then a different approach is needed.
I think there is a reasonable amount of thread protruding beyond the existing nut. Obtain 2 more nuts the same size. Run them on to the thread, leaving a small gap between these and the existing nut. Then tighten these two new ones together. Hold the nut nearest the problem nut, which now try to remove. It won't be especially tight (to avoid crushing the floor), so once started you should be able to remove it. If you can get access to the end of the bolt, you could also try hack sawing a screwdriver slot in it, and try holding that way.

Be careful if you use a drill to wind the steadies. The threaded rod for the leg passes through an alloy, not steel, block, and if too much torque is applied or there is a lack of lubricant, this block simply splits in two. I hear lots of people running a drill on the high speed setting and the shock when the leg suddenly stops can also be enough to fracture it I suspect. Make sure ALL pivot points are lubed

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts