Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I have had two sort of steps now for get in and out of the caravan and both of them seem to tip over if you stand next to one side on them.

Do you now of a make which do not do this.

The one that we have two steps on them.

Mark

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
I drilled the base of each foot and fitted caravan steady pads to them. It also stops them sinking in soft ground and putting holes in groundsheet mesh.

ttfn

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Made my own two step job, treads are just an inch or so narrower then the door opening.

Not saying that they are the way to go, but have a locking cable on them as so many caravanners have asked about them or have eyed them up. My wife has taken bets on who will ask about them on many sites, they are now about 18 years old and as good as new.

I made some for a disabled ladies caravan and was so impressed I made myself some :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
no, norfolk mikes the clever one,just did this on computer to see what it would look like,excellent tip and i think many as myself will give it a go

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
V clever Klarky.

My steps have tread that are 480mm wide and 310 mm deep.

Top step is 320 mm high. Made from folded Aluminium Chequer plate with a simple welded light 18 gauge box section for legs and strenthening.

Local Surrey sheet metal shop folded an off cut of Ali Chequer plate for a tenner ( 18 years ago )and I welded the tube and pop rivete tha ali to the legs.

The width at 480mm wide and the depth at 620 mm give my 6'6'+ frame and former 19 stones plenty of stability and they are quite light and have lasted years.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Norfolk Mike & Klarky for your help I going to go and get some and do it.

Cris if I had still been work I would have had a go at make your one

Thank you all of you for your help.

Mark

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
I used round ones, simply because thats what I had from my old van. I do not think it matters. One other thing for what its worth. originaly they had plastic rods, which because you need to remove the plastic feet in the steps and you need a small clearence so the weight rests on that rod. I changed them for 5mm bolts to take the weight. It also ment that I could place two nuts either side of the step leg to stop it from wandering.

Any more questions and you have to join my CRAP TAP campaign!!!

ttfn

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts