sterilising the water system

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, my dads just bought himself a second hand van which hasnt mooved or been used for three years.

All systems work, but when I first put water through to the taps, the initial water out was black literelly.
Obviously laid in the pipes all that time.

Prior to him using it next weekend, I want to sterilise the system as best I can.

Can anyone give advise as to what they do?
How often?
Which type of sterilising solution do you use?
How long do you leave it in the pipes?

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers
John

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
starlight dj said:
Hi all, my dads just bought himself a second hand van which hasnt mooved or been used for three years.
All systems work, but when I first put water through to the taps, the initial water out was black literelly.
Obviously laid in the pipes all that time.
Prior to him using it next weekend, I want to sterilise the system as best I can.
Can anyone give advise as to what they do?
How often?
Which type of sterilising solution do you use?
How long do you leave it in the pipes?

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers
John

Probably best to use Milton and leave it in the system for about 48 hours. Drain and do it again for another 48 hours until the water is clean. Then thoroughly flush the system with clean water. I would suggest that on the first few trips, carry a 5L bottle fo fresh water for tea and cooking.
After you have done all this, for the hot water do a mix of 10 litre of white vinegar and water to help descale the inside of the boiler. A litre of white vinegar should be enough. Again leave for about 48 hours. Don't do it at the same time that you are cleaning the pipes. Again thoroughly flush the system with clean water.
Next tackle the waste pipes. Block the outlets. Make a strong solution of Milton and water and pour down the drain. If a stainless steel basin, try and avoid it running onto the stainless steel otherwise it may mark it. I am assuming that the caravan has three waste water outlets. If you have an aquaroll and a wastemaster, give them the Milton treatment also.
Lastly it may be an idea to get some cassette cleaner and follow the instructions to clean the cassette as there may be a calcium build up in it.
Others may have other ideas so wait for more input before going ahead.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I thought you shouldn't keep a Milton solution in the fresh water system for more than about an hour, as it attacks the metal in the boiler? It's OK though on the plastic piping.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can buy sterilising tablets that you dissolve in the water in the aquaroll and then pump through the system,as said elsewhere I would play safe and use bottled water for drinking and tea making etc.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Woodsieboy also go for steralising Tablets from Wilko exactly the same as miltons but alot cheaper. I do ours every year and for your Aquaroll you need about 17 tablets but hey this does clean the pipes.Follow the instruction above and you shouldnt have any problems. We never use the water from the aquaroll only for washing up and showers its up to you how you flush the pipes out after you have use the steralising tablets .

TRENDING THREADS