Sterilising water system

Jul 22, 2018
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked before
Heading up to our van for the first weekend of our season on Friday.
Its a tourer on a permanent seasonal pitch up near Loch Tay.
I thought i`d sterilise the water system before we get started so i bought a couple of bottles of this stuff, plan being i`ll fill the aqua rolls up put this in it and run it through the hot and cold taps for the kitchen and washroom sink.
I`m not sure how much to put in (40 and 25 litre aqua roll) and advice appreciated
IMG_4229 by Gunny Scotland, on Flickr
IMG_4230 by Gunny Scotland, on Flickr

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Gunny,
I only use clean water to flush my system through. The sterilising fluid you have, can cause internal damage to the water heater and its components, if left in the system for too long.
Others will come along and offer their own opinions, but others will also agree with mine.
Regards,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Lappy. Milton and other chlorine based sterilising products like yours will pit metal if left in contact with them for too long. By all means use it in your aquaroll and wastemaster and then rinse out, but I would caution against running it through the van. If you have a water filter in situ , it will also damage that. You can buy specific products for caravan internals such as Puriclean.
Mel

Jul 22, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
I intended to run a barrel through with the sterliser in it and then run a couple of fresh water through to rinse it out.
Would that be a waste of time ? , i never thought i would have to leave it in the system to work so wont be doing that.
I’ll maybe just use ot to sterilise the aqua rolls as mentioned earlier.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HEllo Gunny,

I have to echo the answer you have already received about the wisdonm of using bleach based sterilisers becasue they do attack some of the internal components of the applainces in the system. There are sterilisers that are safer to use such as the one mentioned.

However you did ask two other questions, How much would you need? That depends on what applainces you have in your system and the size of the caravans, but a 25L water barrel full shoudl be enough. As to the dilution, the infomation is supplied on the instructions for the fluid as shown in the pictures you have supplied.

2 capfulls for every 4Pints or 2.3Litrres therfore a 25L water container (25/2.3) x 2capfulls = 43 capfulls

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gunny said:
Thanks for the replies.
I intended to run a barrel through with the sterliser in it and then run a couple of fresh water through to rinse it out.
Would that be a waste of time ? , i never thought i would have to leave it in the system to work so wont be doing that.
I’ll maybe just use ot to sterilise the aqua rolls as mentioned earlier.

Running it through will not really do any good as the residence time within the system is too low for the sterilising action to take place. You dont just dunk the children's bottles into the solution and out again. I use Puriclens and never leave it more than 30 minutes before flushing through with clean tap water.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Take care. If any parts of the system are aluminium or zinc plated then the steriliser can dissolve the metal. There are sterilising solutions available from caravan dealers that should not do harm. You probably have a Truma boiler they produce something special. If you have Alde heating there should be the option to switch on the anti legionnaire facility. I haven't sterilised our sytem for years although drinking water is always from a separate container. Theoretically the shower head could carry bugs that spray. I suggest you dry the head out and leave it for a time in bright light. Alternatively sterilise the shower head.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
The people that make the AquaRoll (FL Hitchman) state that they only recommend Bicarbonate of Soda to sterilise the AquaRoll as other products may taint the fresh water added to the barrel.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
The people that make the AquaRoll (FL Hitchman) state that they only recommend Bicarbonate of Soda to sterilise the AquaRoll as other products may taint the fresh water added to the barrel.
The couple of times I've used Miltons it has tainted the fresh water, kind of plasticy taste. .

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Gunny said:
Thanks for all the replies, i think i`ll just run a barrel of fresh water through and not bother with this stuff.

Fresh water will not sterilise the system, which is possibly OK if you don't intent to cook, wash or drink the water.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts