Still learning

Aug 30, 2024
Visit site
hi all I am new to caravans but for 40 years I worked on fairly high end automotive body repair and trim, mainly for prestige manufacture , so I have a question about Caravan build quality is it as poor as it seems to be or am I just expecting too much seeing the finishing off on a new Bailey my wife chose is like going back 25 years or are there large differences in manufacturing qualities by brand ? Thanks, oh by the way I am enjoying it just still finding my way about, any advice welcome

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
hi all I am new to caravans but for 40 years I worked on fairly high end automotive body repair and trim, mainly for prestige manufacture , so I have a question about Caravan build quality is it as poor as it seems to be or am I just expecting too much seeing the finishing off on a new Bailey my wife chose is like going back 25 years or are there large differences in manufacturing qualities by brand ? Thanks, oh by the way I am enjoying it just still finding my way about, any advice welcome
Compared to high end automotive for prestige manufacturers - caravans are poorly designed and constructed - I think the differences between brands is minmal.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Compared to high end automotive for prestige manufacturers - caravans are poorly designed and constructed - I think the differences between brands is minmal.
It’s not just high end prestige car makes, even more mainstream brands have leapt on leaps and bounds over the years. In fact in surveys like JD Power brands such as Kia, Toyota etc regularly, (no always) come high up, with prestige brands much lower down. Even the ubiquitous Duster came top in a JD Power owner satisfaction survey. But I guess some will say that budget brand owners aren’t able to perceive issues as well as prestige owners 🙈

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It’s not just high end prestige car makes, even more mainstream brands have leapt on leaps and bounds over the years. In fact in surveys like JD Power brands such as Kia, Toyota etc regularly, (no always) come high up, with prestige brands much lower down. Even the ubiquitous Duster came top in a JD Power owner satisfaction survey. But I guess some will say that budget brand owners aren’t able to perceive issues as well as prestige owners 🙈
You're right that previous budget/mainstream brands have improved enormously over time, Hyundai/Kia being the obvious examples.

There is an unquantified element that owners paying more for a car, or anything really, have higher expectations than those buying cheaper products. I don't think wealthy owners are any better at finding issues.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In reality there are numerous problems with the design and manufacture of caravans, their designs often miss the mark of what caravanners want yet alone need, apparently going for style over substance, Frills rather than function , and they often choose to poorly copy domestic fittings - though to be fair that might be to keep weight down.

But its the manufacturing that that really lets them down. Consecutive caravans off a production line can be like chalk and cheese in terms of fit and finish and as Roger L has said this lack of consistency can affect any UK brand as well as some continental ones.

It embarases me to have been associated with UK caravan manufacturers, who have had about century to work out how to do it right, but who put profit before quality, and make every caravanner pay extra for it .

Aug 30, 2024
Visit site
You're right that previous budget/mainstream brands have improved enormously over time, Hyundai/Kia being the obvious examples.

There is an unquantified element that owners paying more for a car, or anything really, have higher expectations than those buying cheaper products. I don't think wealthy owners are any better at finding issues.
Hi I do hope my post didn’t come across as not recognising that there probably isn’t a badly made car irrespective of price , It was intended to relay my amazement at how poor the finish and quality of in my case a Bailey caravan is thanks for the responses

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi I do hope my post didn’t come across as not recognising that there probably isn’t a badly made car irrespective of price , It was intended to relay my amazement at how poor the finish and quality of in my case a Bailey caravan is thanks for the responses
Not at all. After owning a Freelander 2 since 2008, largely trouble free apart from rear differential bearing which was replaced by JLR outside of warranty, he’s recently bought a two year old petrol Duster. I must admit it demolished my perceptions on both performance and ride. One area that would probably stop me buying one is it’s low occupancy safety rating on NCAP compared to the two SUV cars that we are considering.. Having had a Saab and Volvo written off in crashes ( no fault) we both consider Occupant safety important and is the last resort when the various electronic aids cannot hack it.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No problem - you're right to highlight the difference in design/build quality between modern cars and caravans.

Cheap cars are no longer built badly - they're just lower specification (in all respects) than more expensive cars.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not at all. After owning a Freelander 2 since 2008, largely trouble free apart from rear differential bearing which was replaced by JLR outside of warranty, he’s recently bought a two year old petrol Duster. I must admit it demolished my perceptions on both performance and ride. One area that would probably stop me buying one is it’s low occupancy safety rating on NCAP compared to the two SUV cars that we are considering.. Having had a Saab and Volvo written off in crashes ( no fault) we both consider Occupant safety important and is the last resort when the various electronic aids cannot hack it.
We have considered a Duster and for the same reasons decided against it. Is the powertrain Renault? Top of our list for a trade in on the Corolla is another Toyota.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The powertrain is Renault as was my Nissan Note diesel. There may well be Nissan parts in the Duster too. In India it’s called Renault Duster. We travelled in Bhutan and Dusters were badged Nissan Terrano and were top spec carrying the driver, official tourist guide and one or two tourist. Many of the roads were little more than gravel surfaces, top dressed with landslides.

When my son took me over to Swindon it was on the A4 and I was surprised at the pull from a small 1.3 turbo engine, and returning on the M4 it just took it in its stride.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
MG 7 yrs and 80k. Dacia 7 years and 75k. Toyota 10 yrs 100k. The more mainstream and prestige brands need to catch up. In Australia MG give 10 years. The will be T&Cs but it comes down to what car you want and personal. choice.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I would go Hyundai or Kia, a lot longer warranty.
Hyundai/Kia warranties have been overtaken - Toyota warranty is 10 years / 100,000 miles if you keep up with dealer servicing - Hyundai is "only" 5 years unlimited mileage while Kia is 7 years / 100,000 miles.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We sold our three year old Disco which was very troublesome particularly its tendency to over pressure the coolant then ditch it. I bought a Kia Sorento when they were relatively new to U.K. What influenced me is that in the USA the warranty was 10 years 100k miles. Although in Britain it was 3 years 60k. But we had it six years and 70k miles including long hauls to Scotland and Causses and Languedoc several times. Nere a peep of a problem. We have two Kia’s one 7 years old, one 3 years old and neither given any issues apart from one drivers seat height lever being replaced on the older one. Servicing by main dealer not expensive.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hyundai/Kia warranties have been overtaken - Toyota warranty is 10 years / 100,000 miles if you keep up with dealer servicing - Hyundai is "only" 5 years unlimited mileage while Kia is 7 years / 100,000 miles.
That's good, beats, the others really , I certainly didn't expect to keep my SFe this long. 96k miles. 0
But I will change the Auto transmission oil and filter soon. And maybe the aux drive belt.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I remember my son's Vauxhall Nova, three oil changes in about 125 k miles.
Only topped it up when a light came on as he went around a corner.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That's good, beats, the others really , I certainly didn't expect to keep my SFe this long. 96k miles. 0
But I will change the Auto transmission oil and filter soon. And maybe the aux drive belt.
I quite liked my 2011 Santa Fe, bought when Hyundais were still cheap, but the engine/transmission blew at 35,000 miles - it was rebuilt but I lost faith in it so sold it at 53,000 just before the warranty expired - using the MoT Check website it's now done 150,000 with few issues which is quite respectable.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I have a 2016 Santa Fe that has done 53500 miles.
Had it less than a year and didn't know the history of the auto gearbox.
Had the gearbox oil changed and the difference was amazing.
Much smoother gear changes and seems better at selecting correct gear especially when towing.
Glad I got it changed:)

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Much smoother gear changes and seems better at selecting correct gear especially when towing.
Does it have a "Sport" mode? Best to use Sport mode when towing as not so many gear changes.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I remember my son's Vauxhall Nova, three oil changes in about 125 k miles.
Only topped it up when a light came on as he went around a corner.
My new car only done 5,800 miles and the other day going to doctors appointment it said on the dash, oil change needed in 15 fifteen days so i rang the dealer it should not be on yet so now booked in on Monday 9th September .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Might do it a bit earlier than the 100k miles.
Bill can I ask how much the oil change and filter replacement cost?.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My new car only done 5,800 miles and the other day going to doctors appointment it said on the dash, oil change needed in 15 fifteen days so i rang the dealer it should not be on yet so now booked in on Monday 9th September .
It will be a 1 year or 10k or 12 k miles, programmed into the car , what does your service record say in the handbook. No point in spending money if it is not needed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts